Water Pump

Hello Guys,

My 99 Camry is aproaching 90K i am going to change the timing belt. Do i need to change the water pump too..? when i checked with the dealer he told me that if there is no leak then no need to change the water pump. is that true or do i need to change the water pump along with timing belt, appreciate your help Thanks

Reply to
Krishna1

Since labor is over half the cost of replacing a water pump , I would go ahead and have it done while they are in there. It's very easy to replace after they get to the timing belt. The water pump shouldn't cost over a $100.00 . I just bought one a few weeks back. It went out at 123K.

Incidentally , mine wasn't leaking either , although in most cases there will be some leakage out the "weep hole" before one goes out completely. I wasn't fortunate enough to have that warning.

IMO , peace of mind is worth more than the cost of that pump.

Ken Day

Reply to
Ken Day

My 1994 Camry had 168K miles when I sold it with the original water pump. My 1997 Camry has 108K miles with original water pump. Each time I have had the timing belt replaced they have said the same thing to me as to you.

Reply to
badgolferman

Have all the seals on that side of the engine replaced now, dont forget the large one behind the oil pump or soon you will have to have it opened up to do it anyway. I would go for the new water pump too.

Reply to
Rob

Always a good idea. I would do it on mine and my families. I did do a Toyota at work, water pump took out the timing belt. Thank god for Toyota, no damage and within 3 hours they were back on the road.

Reply to
Steve

If it doesn't leak and is not wobbly let it be - new ones are $120+ -- no reason to replace it if it checks out ok.

Reply to
Wolfgang

no reason to replace it if it checks out ok

------------- read some of the prior posts for reasons took out the timing belt went out with no warning saves paying labor twice

Reply to
Daniel

Well, you've probably had the work done by now, but for my two cents i say change the water pump. In my experience (25 years plus doing car work) any water pump of any car with over 75 k on it is on borrowed time anyway. They are one of the quicker wearing parts on the engine and if it leaks or squeaks you will have the timing belt come off again for more labor, right? Plus all the inconvenience to you etc. So just change the thing and drive for a few more years and not have to worry about it.

Reply to
marc780 via CarKB.com