transmission drain plug

I have a 2003 Camry LE automatic. The car is approaching 30K miles. And I am thinking that it will need the 30K service soon. First of all as many posters had pointed out, I have alos noticed that the dealer has added many extra things for the 30K mile service that're not listed in my passport manual for maintenace to be performed at 30K miles. And they charge me $424.95 for their service (I live in Washington metro area in Maryland). Based on the passbook, I figure I could easily do the following myself:

- LOF

- Replace air filter & cabin filter

- rotate tires

- replace spark plugs And that's pretty much all I have to do. And I do not expect to spend much money (I will get the plugs and filters from the dealer). But the dealer's service includes, among other things, transmission drain/refill. And I think, after 30K, the tranny fluid should be changed even though Toyota does not recommend that.

The other day, I jacked up the car and took a look at the transmission pan. If I remember correctly, I saw a transmission plug whose center is a square recess into the plug. I must admit I am very uninformed about tools. I have never seen such a plug. What kind of tool do I use to loosen the plug, and where could I find such a tool?

Thanks for any ponter Ted

Reply to
tedliu525

Use a ratchet wrench (It is a square drive).

Reply to
Bad Bob

Don't know for sure what the 2003 has , but my 96 LE has a

10mm allen head plug.....which does look kinda aquare :-). You can get a 10mm allen socket at most any auto store.

Ken Day

Reply to
Ken Day

Its a 10mm hex drive. You can pick one up almost anywhere. Also don't forget to drain the differential too. There is an identical plug (oriented vertically) about 12 inches behind the transmission drain pan. And double check on those sparkplugs, too. I'm fairly certain that the service interval is beyond 30k miles. Don't want to replace then if you don't have to!

Qslim

Its a 10mm hex drive. You can pick one up almost anywhere. Also don't forget to drain the differential too. There is an identical plug (oriented vertically) about 12 inches behind the transmission drain pan. And double check on those sparkplugs, too. I'm fairly certain that the service interval is beyond 30k miles. Don't want to replace then if you don't have to!

Qslim

Its a 10mm hex drive. You can pick one up almost anywhere. Also don't forget to drain the differential too. There is an identical plug (oriented vertically) about 12 inches behind the transmission drain pan. And double check on those sparkplugs, too. I'm fairly certain that the service interval is beyond 30k miles. Don't want to replace then if you don't have to!

Qslim

Whats a LOF? These are not $2 sparkplugs and usually are good for

60,000 miles. You may be able to rotate the tires OK but they should be rebalanced too. You cant do that. The trans should be serviced but if you dont know your way around tools...Also you forgot the differential. Thats a mess to change fluid. If you are going to do these things, at least get the Haynes manual.
Reply to
Rob

you're kidding? everyone who works on car should know LOF stands for: Lube, Oil and Filter.

These are not $2 sparkplugs and usually are good for

Both the dealer's 30K service and my Camry passport manual call for spark plug replacement at 30K. So I better follow.

You may be able to rotate the tires OK but they should be

mmm....I did rotate mine once myself (w/o rebalancing them, of course). But I think the dealer also offer tire rotation service (no rebalancing) for about $20.00 ...

I was told drain/refill tranny fluid is much important than the differential fluid change at 30K. I think I could wait until 60K to do the differential fluid. Again the user service manual does not mention differential at 30K

I did try. But I have yet to find any auto repair manual (including Chilton, Haynes) that covers the year model of my car (2003 Camry LE). I would appreciate very much if anyone can tell me where I could get one for my car.

Reply to
tedliu525

LOF must be lube, oil, filter - however there's no "lube" anymore with sealed chassis fittings. Double check for your engine, there may not be a separate drain for the differential. In my view, rotating the tires is sufficient (without rebalancing). Has worked fine for me. Be sure to use the factory specified transmission fluid and re check the level after reaching full operating temperature (drive min. 10 miles). Some of the newer transaxles require a special type of fluid. If you have the Iridium spark plugs, they should be good for 90,000 miles. My suggestion: when removing oil or transmission drain plugs, always use a new gasket, they're inexpensive insurance against leaks and help to avoild the need to over tighten.

Reply to
Daniel

LOF must be lube, oil, filter - however there's no "lube" anymore with sealed chassis fittings. Double check for your engine, there may not be a separate drain for the differential. In my view, rotating the tires is sufficient (without rebalancing). Has worked fine for me. Be sure to use the factory specified transmission fluid and re check the level after reaching full operating temperature (drive min. 10 miles). Some of the newer transaxles require a special type of fluid. If you have the Iridium spark plugs, they should be good for 90,000 miles. My suggestion: when removing oil or transmission drain plugs, always use a new gasket, they're inexpensive insurance against leaks and help to avoid the need to over tighten.

Reply to
Daniel

Do you have a V6 or 4 cylinder? The 4-cylinder plugs are very easy ... as for the V6 plugs, I gave up on the back set of plugs--they were quite challenging (at least for me).

If you are doing it yourself, I would also replace the brake fluid. Your manual will probaby say it isn't due until 45K (or every 2 years which you are close to).

Reply to
Curtis Newton

I have the 4 cylinder. And you are right. The plugs are very accessible. Take off the plastic cover, and they are right in front of you. So why pay someone $80.00 labor if you can get it done in 10 minutes? My Camry passport does not mention brake at 30K, but the dealer's

30K service does include "clean & adjust rear brakes". So I am planning to simply pull the drums, spray some brake cleaner, and check/adjust the spring tension.... Thanks for your comments Ted
Reply to
tedliu525

You had better reread your passport because mine says that the spark plugs need to be replaced at 30,000 miles for the Echo, not the Camry.

Reply to
hoerschy

I never heard of it either. I've been working on cars going on 50 years and never heard the term LOF. Grease job 'n' oil change , now I've heard that. Maybe it's a local thing. :-)

Ken Day

Reply to
Ken Day