waxing new camry

There have been so many changes in auto finishes since my last new car, I'm wondering if the old rule of not waxing a new car still holds. Any advice on the best wash and protection products would be welcome.

Thx Don

Reply to
Don Hanson

Investigate

Not the least costly, but extraordinarily gentle to the existing finish (will not even remove water spots - so you need to prep the finish as described in the instructions), not wax based (polymer), and will enhance the appearance of even new car finishes, according to one of the user reviews. This particular guy was really pleased with the extra "dimension" added to his new vehicle. Could be a bit excessive as the Camry is generally not considered an "enthusiast's" vehicle, but does yield very nice effects, plus UV 40 SPF protection with the gloss enhancement. I applied the products to an older finish, and the gloss enhancment was very nice, unfortunately, it brought out the color so vividly that with an especially discerning eye, I was then able to detect subtle color variations from sun fading more readily, though still unnoticeable to the casual observer. Wish I could have begun use of this product with a new vehicle, but the highlights and "glow" are still very nice.

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus

In the test completed by

Zaino excelled byquite a margin.

-

-- Curtis Newton snipped-for-privacy@remove-me.akaMail.com

ICQ: 4899169

Reply to
Curtis Newton

There used to be a rule that you didn't wax for two or three months, but most agree that it no longer applies for a couple of reasons. 1) if you look at the sticker in the door jam, you will see a date of manufacture for your vehicle. Chances are that its more than 60-90 days old since leaving the factory by the time you drive off the lot with it. 2) paints and the clear coats today are baked on at high temperatures in the factory and do not need the time to cure as did non-clear coat paints of an earlier era.

As to what wax is best -- well the guru reports did an excellent test of 46 different waxes, but its like arguing about which girl is the prettiest or which car is the best -- and there is a cost consideration too. Zaino did come in tops, but its considerably more expensive than say the fourth place finisher, Armor All Protective Barrier, which will only set you back a few dollars at your local auto parts store or Wal-Mart. There's lots of information available on the web ... the Meguiar's site, for example, has lots of tips, videos, etc. So I suggest waxing right away, and experimenting with a few products until you find the combination that best suits your willingness to devote time & money towards your car's appearance.

Don Pritchett (2000 Camry XLE)

Reply to
Don Pritchett

Teflon seal - it´s superior to all waxes...

Reply to
CamryV6

Teflon seal - it´s superior to all waxes...

yes, i agree i have used diamond brite on 4 cars since 1988 and can say it is much better that "wax" teflon will not yellow-easy to use-cheap-and fast check out Diamond Brite - Dr. Dave is the man! herb

Reply to
Herbnn