Re: Why are there so many different spark plugs?

Why are there loads of different specs of spark plugs? Do they all

>vary that much? I dont mean different brands, just the various spec >numbers you get. What happens if you use an 'alternative' spec plug or >even the wrong one?

May as well ask how many different engines are there? How many different uses can they be put to?

With a 4 cylinder engine, what happens if you disconnect one of the >spark plug leads with the engine running? Will it run with just 3 >connected?

That's how you used to find which cylinder was missfiring. Remove one plug cap at a time. The one that had no effect was the faulty one. These days with electronic ignition this is not a good idea, the spark has to find a way to earth and it can destroy the electronics if it goes though them. So the test now is to dissconnect each fuel injector in turn.

Peter Hill

What if it's single point injection?

My dad removed the leads on my car one at a time, fortuantely the car seems to still work. I'd better tell him not to.

Reply to
Peter

"Douglas Payne" wrote

Fairy nuff. Hang on a sec while I try it.....

...Well, I did it. I'll be happy to take your money, but I'd be grateful if you'd donate it to the Hospital for All Heroic Actions. (HAHA)

Tom. (I'll get me coat)

Reply to
Tom Saul