Weak Battery Took Out Starter Relay

My wife's 1999 Camry LE V6 died in the parking lot...she drove in just fine but upon returning from the store, the vehicle would not start. Other electrical devices worked OK, but nothing from the starter. The car was towed to the Toyota dealership, where they diagnosed a weak battery and dead starter relay. They claim this in not uncommon... a dying battery will cause the relay to fail.

Has anyone else experienced this? I don't understand how this could happen, but this dealership has never steered me wrong in the past so I trust them not to just replace the relay and overlook a more serious problem (shorting wires, etc).

Thanks for any info you can share...

Reply to
Roger Sturgeon

The only way a low battery could take out a relay is by that relay 'chattering'. Even then it still sounds a bit dubious as relays are very sturdy, if adequate for the job they are to perform.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James