Re: Starter Problems

Check for codes regarding the crankshaft and camshaft position sensors. When they start to go bad the ECU won't post a code until it happens twice in a row. In my case, it went slowly from an occasional refusal to crank (removing the key and re-cranking would work) to more often. For me it began cold weather, went away in the spring, and finally the sensor died in summer. Haven't had a starting problem since.

Dave

For the past few months I have had difficulties starting my 95 Maxima. The > battery is good (1.5 years old, posts clean) but every once and awhile the > car won't start. The lights are on, etc. but no start. Then, after a few > hours, bingo - it starts. It has now happened three times this past > weekend so now it is in the Nissan dealership. Wouldn't you know it - it > started once it was towed there. Unfortunately, they can't do anything > until teh problem repeats. Surely there is a test they can do to see if > the starter is performing properly. When it is -30 I need a car to start. >
Reply to
David Geesaman

Monte

You're not very specific about "won't start".

Does it turn over? If not, I found that on my 96 Max, the starter got sluggish. I pulled it, took it apart and cleaned up the bearings and re-greased it. Worked like a charm. If you're not mechanical at all, you may need to have it replaced.

If it does turn over, but just not start, then you might need new plugs, or there is a myrad of things that could cause hard starting problems, flooding (are you at a high altitude? sometimes helps to hold the gas down 1/4 of the way when its cold), there are also some TSBs on hard starting cars that you might look up.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

The Nissan dealership was no help - said it was the battery (which I knew it wasn't). The car did not crank, lights did not dim, and often started when -30 below. The battery was only 1 year old (sear Diehard).

So I took the car to my college (where I am VP), had the auto instructors look at the problem, and confirmed it was not the battery or charging system. Luckily they had a class working on tuneups so the students took the stater apart, cleaned the contacts, and it seems to start quicker now. The instructors said if it happens again they will replace the relay switch between the ignition switch and starter. They said this may be the problem but felt it may be alright. Removing the switch and putting it back may have provided a better contact. The part switch number (for those of you with a 95 Maxima) is 25230C99624100614 and takes 1 minute to replace. Anyway, thanks for the help fellas.

Reply to
TKCoop

I own a 2000 Nissan Maxima (automatic). I've noticed minor hiccups when starting the car over the past couple of years. Last night, the car barely started. Today, it won't start at all.

Is it a battery issue, or is it the starter? I tried jumpstarting the car, but that didn't work.

I've tried suggestions from other threads, like starting the car from park and neutral & jiggling the shifter. But the shifter is stuck, so there's no way I can try starting the car from "N".

Reply to
chick_hearn

I own a 2000 Nissan Maxima (automatic). I've noticed minor hiccups when starting the car over the past couple of years. Last night, the car barely started. Today, it won't start at all.

Is it a battery issue, or is it the starter? I tried jumpstarting the car, but that didn't work.

I've tried suggestions from other threads, like starting the car from park and neutral & jiggling the shifter. But the shifter is stuck, so there's no way I can try starting the car from "N".

Reply to
chick_hearn

Reply to
john smith