what's recommended for lubricating hoses?

Gonna be changing my radiator hoses really soon, and wondering what's recommended to lubricate 'em so they slide into place.

Used vaseline to lube my air intake hose, then I heard that's not such a good idea.

Someone recommends soapy water... good idea / bad idea?

Reply to
mrdarrett

Good idea. Vaseline isn't good on condoms, either.

Reply to
Sharx35

Ah, K-Y Jelly!

Thanks a bunch.

Reply to
mrdarrett

I coulda sworn snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com typ'd:

KY Jelly is what I use. Seriously. Good lube and won't hurt rubber(s).

There's also a product called "Syl-Lube" (I think that's what it's called, anyway) for things you want to stay lubed if they're going on and off quite a few times.

But for one-time lubrication of rubber parts during assembly, KY Jelly is hard (pun?) to beat.

-Don

Reply to
Don Fearn

Luckily I've already got a tube of this... ;)

Imagine the look on the cashier's face if I stood in line with the KY Jelly, and made a casual remark, "It's for my car..." (grin)

Reply to
mrdarrett

Buy a can of silicone spray, you'll be good to go.

Reply to
qslim

~But for one-time lubrication of rubber parts during assembly, KY ~Jelly is hard (pun?) to beat.

I just use spit on it, like John Holmes.

~-Don

Reply to
Father Guido

You're safe with soap. It won't hurt the elastomer. IIRC, Ru-Glyde, the rubber cleaner and preservative, was based on a soap formulation.

Radiator hoses are made out of better materials now than they used to be.

Vaseline probably wouldn't hurt them either. (That is exactly what we used to use on o-rings and elastomer seals when rebuilding automatic transmissions.)

Reply to
<HLS