sound system on '99 camry

I'm thinking of replacing the FM radio/tape player on my wife's '99 camry.

I went to Crutchfield, and saw this:

Installation Details for your 1999 Camry CE =BB Please Note: Because your vehicle is factory-equipped with a special sound system, Crutchfield recommends a free bypass adapter that we provide. Not using this adapter could make it necessary to replace the entire factory sound system, including the speakers.

What is the bypass adapter, exactly? Is it a capacitor? What will it do exactly? Where would it fit?

Also, anyone have any specs on the stock speakers / sound system on the '99 Camry CE?

Thanks,

Mike

Reply to
mrdarrett

I called Crutchfield, and they mentioned this bypass adapter is meant to bypass (with wiring) an amplifier somewhere in the passenger side, which amplifies the signal from the factory stereo to 10 W or so.

If I don't buy through Crutchfield, how would I get this adapter? Otherwise, anyone know where exactly this amplifier is located, so I can nuke it myself? ;)

Reply to
onehappymadman