put some new speakers in... but...

Ok, I went to Wal-Mart, and got a pair of Durabrand (yes, Durabrand)

4-way 6x9 speakers for $20.

They sound pretty good. (I was finally able to get the rear seat out - my Haynes showed me where there were two latches, and I just had to pull up on those left and right latches.)

But... two problems:

  1. They don't "really fit". Apart from having to drill holes (which was a challenge in its own right, I might add) the tweeter part sticks up, preventing me from putting the rear deck cover on. So, should I use a saw to cut up my rear deck cover? For now, I just didn't put the rear deck back on. Looks kinda funky without it...

  1. When I play some music with bass (Enigma, for instance) I get some annoying distortion. I later traced the "distortion" to my top brake light vibrating. (!!!) Any suggestions?

Any suggestions?

Overall, not bad speakers for $20. I was expecting them to sound like crap - they don't. I actually hear bass where there's supposed to be bass - not this disappointing gap where I know there should be bass but is missing.

Reply to
onehappymadman

Update - the rear deck cover fits after all. Looking at the old speakers, I noticed the speakers have a black support sticking out about 1/4-inch or 3/8-inch above the cone. The tweeters on my new speakers stick out about that much also, so I figured the deck should fit. It did after all.

Re: the top brake light: I just removed the brake light cover. Seems like the cover was the one jiggling on high bass. With it gone, no problem.

These Durabrands are probably the best $20 I've ever spent on audio. Very impressive bass. I bet I could even drive around Edmonton at night with my windows down and drive Mr. Sharx crazy ;)

Thanks all for the help,

onehappymadman

Reply to
onehappymadman

It wouldn't take that much to drive me crazy-I'm in the income tax field and our season ends in 2 weeks. However, thanks to central air, we keep our windows closed, cutting down almost all street noise. You'd have to discover the frequency required to set the house resonating.

Reply to
Sharx35