What tires do you recommend?

I think I need new tires. ('96 Camry, 152,000 miles)
What do y'all recommend?
Is Costco a good place to get tires?
Michael

On Sun, 1 Jun 2008 14:05:14 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com you wrote:

..only if you want to pay $200 each for a Michelin
go to tirerack.com instead.
I have Sumitomos on both our 07 Camry hybrid and or 02 Lexus LS430.
really like them. Quiet, excellent traction in snow/rain/ice and decent pricing.

I would highly recommend the Yokohama A520. You can get these at most tire place, including Discount Tire.
Costco is a good place to get tires, but I don't know which ones they carry at your local store.

Actually, I think the Yokohama is now called the YK520. If you have 14" inch wheels (4 cylinder engine) then I don't think it is available in that size.
If you go the Discount Tire website, you can see all the tires they have for your vehicle (and obviously prices).
Mark A wrote:

The Yokohama AVID TRZ is available in 14" and I've been real happy with them.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Avoid the Pirelli P4.
Had a set put on my Sienna and they won't balance properly- out of round. Tire dealer insists they are okay. I'm now avoiding him too.
On Jun 2, 3:53am, snipped-for-privacy@nospamsonic.net wrote:

Michelin are good but did you know that the date the tire was manufacured is on every tire and dealers often have 6yr old tires in stock.

Fellow at work had 4 new Michelin tires put on his Toyota Camry. They started viberating and ridding rough after about a month. He took it to several places and finally found out two were Mexico and two were Canadian tires. After getting a set all made in the same country the ride was much beter and has stayed that way. I am not being down on the company as I work at a place that sells the tire cord to them. Just be sure they all are made at the same place.

The Pirelli P4 is a relatively new design hasn't been out for even 2 years.
I was going to get Michelins, as my experience with them has been way above par in the QC department. I was looking to save some money, but it looks as if this will end up costing me more money in the long run. Tires tend to get more out of balance as they age and when these Pirelli's were new they were borderline at best.
I'm not a happy camper about this experience.
Grrr...
Just get Michelin Primacys from Costco. They threat their customers well and the price is right. Also, the world's fastest production cars run Michelins (Bugatti Veyron, > 250 MPH). No cheap crappy tires will do here.
On Jun 2, 12:39 pm, snipped-for-privacy@nospamsonic.net wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Michelin. Not sure what they have at this time. Be sure to look at the mileage warranty on the tires, as some brands are dropping coverage.

Yes, it's by far the best place to buy tires. Also, starting today (until 6/29) there is a $60 off coupon for 4 Michelin or Goodrich tires from Costco. Another advantage is that they don't charge extra for a road hazard warranty, the balancing is relatively cheap, valve stems are not extra, they inflate the tires with nitrogen at no extra cost (most tire stores charge a significant amount per tire for nitrogen), and they actually honor the mileage warranty without finding a gazillion reasons why you don't qualify.
Costco running $60 off for 4. Get Michelin Primacy. I think they rid of the cheap Bridgestone line from Costco.
costco hand-torque the lug nuts. Many other places use impact wrenches. You also get nitrogen charge if that matters to you. Free road hazard and rotation. Service centers across the nation.
On Jun 1, 2:05 pm, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Yep, it's hard to beat Costco. I once checked Tire Rack for the identical tires from Costco for my 4Runner. The base tire price was $14 lower per tire at Tire Rack. However once you added shipping (nearly $80), road-hazard, and installation at a store that they will ship to, valve stems, and other garbage fees, Tire Rack would have been about $200 more.
The advantage of being able to drive in to any Costco tire center for service and warranty is of great value. Also, when you don't get the full rated mileage, Costco is very good about giving you a pro-rated credit, without demanding all sorts of documentation regarding alignment and rotation.
On Jun 1, 4:05pm, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

My 2003 Camry SE that I bought used, had 4 Michelin Energy MXV4 Plus tires. When it came time to replace them, I got 4 Continental ContiProContacts. They cost much less than the Michelins, and were recommended by a mechanic friend of mine. The Michelins were a higher performance tire, but as a consequence they also had a stiffer ride. The Continentals ride a lot smoother, and they come close to having the same performance stats as the Michelins.
I don't know if they're available at Costco. They were available at a number of local tire deaIers in the chicago area; Tire America, Discount Tire, etc.
HTH.
- Dave
The older Contis used to wear quite rapidly. However, the ProContacts have 600 wear rating!! Not bad at all. For myself I'll go with the Michelin Primacy, with the 620 rating.