Wheel aligment

What are the factory tolerances on aligment angles for a 1995 camry ? And what are the "reasonable" angle tolerances you would not rebuild suspension if you have them ?

I saw a printout with the +/-0.1' tolerances and they seem to be too strict. Is it reasonable to expect a 10 years old car with 217 thousand miles on the odometer was within so tight specs ?

If you have done your aligment - could you share the numbers from your printout with the group, please ?

Reply to
Pszemol

========================= The only adjustable alignment item for your car is toe in. Everything else reflects wear in the components and there seems to be different tests for replacement. For the stabilizer bar connecting links, you're supposed to twirl them around three times and then measure resistance in inch pounds. I just replaced them when the rubber grease boots cracked. Stabilizer bar bushings - if loose, cracked or missing, replace. I replaced mine when squeaking, and used silicone grease. They're inexpensive. For the ball joints, max. play is zero - check at half load with tires on wood blocks, pry up under them from the wheel protected with a rag. At 150,000 miles, one had play the other none. I replaced both. Control arm bushings - check rear rubber isolator for large cracks with wheel off for inspection. Wound up splitting the rubber bushing in one of mine when prying down the control arm to replace an axle. Once I got the old control arms out, discovered the rear bushings were cracked all the way through. Strut internal wear - check for damping characteristics at higher speeds over bumpy road. When replacing struts, probably a good idea also to change the strut mounts which carry the weight of the front end. Axle CV joints can also wear creating front end vibration under load especially in combination with worn ball joints. Axle bearings are checked for play with a dial indicator. Mine are fine at 150k.

--------------------------- Like much of automotive maintenance, there can be discretion - choice. If you drive gently, at relatively low speeds, unless suspension components get exceptionally worn, you're unlikely to have catastrophic problems. If you drive at higher speeds, under higher acceleration loading, you may have to replace all of the items to eliminate very high speed vibration. But then you're good for another 150,000 or 200,000 miles. (This assumes Toyota parts - lesser parts, lesser results) So might depend on the condition of the rest of the car - interior, bodywork, paint, engine/ transmission condition. Toyotas can last a long, long, time.

Reply to
Daniel