When to replace the belts for 2000 Camry?

I've been driving my 2000 4-cylinder Camry CE for 11 years now. It has a low mileage of 60,000. I don't see obvious damage on the engine belt, but my eyes are not trained in cars. Is it about the time to replace the belt and the timing belt? Should I replace the water pump too? About how much does it cost if I take it to an auto shop?

Reply to
Workbug

\According to the Gates website, this engine needs to have the belt replaced at 90,000 miles, BUT time is also a factor. Again, according to this resource, yours is NOT an interference engine.

Some of the other engines in this time range show a 60,000 mile severe belt replacement schedule.

Why replace the pump if it is not broken? If you plan a long road trip, then you could consider preventative maintenance, but it is not really necessary if you just have a daily driver.

If you take it to a Toyota dealership, you will probably be charged several hundred dollars for the belts, pump, etc.. Mine would only be a guess but I would imagine $300-600 for this work. Just a wild ass guess.

Go to

if you want to double check this info.,

Reply to
hls

One reason to replace the pump is that it is internal to the motor behind the timing belt. There should not be any more labor or atleast a very small amount. Think of it as insurance. I replaced the pump on my 91 Camry when I had the belt changed. This was recommended by my mechanic, not a dealer.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

That is certainly a good enough reason to replace an aging, but still good, waterpump.

Reply to
hls

That is what I thought. It may have cost $ 100 more, don't remember the cost of a new one (not rebuilt). I kept the car for almost 200,000 miles. I did not put a belt or pump on it but once. I had let it go for about

80,000 miles the first time. I was going to buy a new car at some point and that one had gotten old enought the trade in value was not very much so I just let it go. thought if it did laydown, I would not be out anything. I don't know how long the average water pump will last on a Toyota, but I doubt it would be good for over 150,000.

If the pump was outside the motor like many cars are where it is not too much trouble to change, then I would not have put a new pump on whenI changed the timing belt.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I had the belts changed my my 2000 Camry LE 4 cyl at 180,000kms (just after I bought it) I did not replace the water pump and according to the maintenance history was the original one. I drove the car up until about a month ago with 230,000 kms and never a problem from the pump. just my $0.02

Reply to
camryguy