WTF... US XLE = $25K; CAN XLE = $38K

Wow, what's involved in bring a US XLE back into Canada. I know I have to pay GST (but it's on >$10K less to start with). What else?

Reply to
Father Guido

Check out the forums on redflagdeals.com . There's a 200 page thread on this very subject.

The toughest part of the process is finding an American dealer that will sell to you - Toyota corporate is putting pressure on them not to sell to Canadians.

Me, I want a 4 cylinder XLE, which isn't sold in Canada.

Reply to
Nobody Important

Foreign vehicles MUST comply witth Canadian emissions standards and all safety requirements.(Running lights etc.)

Your best bet is to go to Canada customs and get their list of approved vehicles for inport into Canada

Its not only GST you have to pay but PST as well when licencing the vehicle here in Canada..

If this is Toyotas attitude ? then its time to boycott them .

After, all we have NAFTA, which was supposed to eliminate any cross boder discrepancies on US made vehicles.

Reply to
mred

The Camry conforms in all respects, including the daytime running lights. You don't have to do a thing to it.

That would be the Registrar of Imported Vehicles, at riv.ca . It will be interesting to see if Toyota delays submitting the MY2008 conformance documents to Transport Canada, to prevent cross-border shopping.

You also have to pay 6.1% on a Japanese Camry (VIN starts with a "J" which includes all Hybrids), but the Kentucky-made ones (VIN starts with a "4") are exempt from this tariff.

Yah, I'm thinking about getting a Subaru - they don't try to prevent their dealers from selling to Canadians. I'm familiar with servicing the 4-cylinder Toy engines, though, so I'm reluctant to change brands.

That wasn't part of NAFTA at all; the treaty simply removed the tariffs charged on vehicles made within the free trade zone. What I'd like to see is for Canada to accept the European emissions and safety standards, which would open up a whole world of nice cars that we never see here.

Reply to
Nobody Important

Doesn't the US have strictest safety and emission standards among all?? We have heavier cars, with lower HP, lower mpg, and less exterior styling for insurance purposes. I'm thinking with all that, US version cars can be sold or used on any country. (assuming RHD is not counted)

Reply to
EdV

Yes, if you exclude the massive loopholes for light trucks, which account for the majority of US purchases. Ever seen a crash test on a late-90s F-Series pickup? It's not pretty.

In general, the heavier vehicles such as SUVs are more deadly due to poor emergency manoevreability (due to the high inertia) and rollover risk (due to the higher centre of gravity). The only time heavier is better is in a collision with a much lighter car, where the acceleration is less for the SUV due to the higher mass (and greater for the lighter car). Basically, if you care at all about other road-users, you don't drive a big American-style vehicle.

There are peculiarities in each market. For example, Canada makes cars pass a faster bumper test. In some places, you need to have yellow turn signals and auto-levelling headlights.

Reply to
Nobody Important

I mean US car are really heavier...

Curb weights of Camry A/T automatic transmission

US Version A/T (toyota.com) The CE / LE camry is 3,307 lbs The SE camry is 3,351 lbs The XLE 4 cyl camry is 3,373 lbs

158HP / 155 HP California

Malaysia A/T (toyota.com.my) The 2.4 V Camry is 3,240 lbs (1470 kgs)

165 Horsepower
Reply to
EdV