XLE V6 New yesterday, in shop TODAY!

I took delivery of this $30,000 (drive-out) car Monday evening. It has a JXXX... VIN meaning per the salesman that it was built in Japan. (The

4XXX... VIN means built in USA). Drove home, after I exited the car, and locked the doors, the alarm system would wait from 30 to 40 seconds to GO OFF HORN LIGHTS HORN ETC. ETC. ETC. ad nauseum. I called the 800 # for Toyota, and was told to call the dealer, because "they do not handle technical questions". I did, but was unable to get in contact with anyone at 6:40 PM, they closed at 7:00 PM. I left a message on a service writers (SW) voice mail, with no return call. This AM I called again, and as luck (BAD) would have it, I was connected to the same SW, that had not called me back from the night before. He said "Bring the car in" . I DID and as (TERRIBLE) luck would have it, I got the same SW. I did. "Three hour wait before they can, look at the car...No loaner car"... Fine. SW said I could get a lift to wherever I was going, and I said I had 6 stops to make and SW pointed and said "Go over there and rent a car". I pointed out that I had paid extra for "Rental car assistance" , and that according to the terms, the SW was supposed to obtain a tracking number for this assistance. He looked it over, and said "Oh, okay, I'll print it out for you. He did so, and I left to get the rental car. Six hours later, I had heard nothing, so I called SW...got his voicemail and long winded message, then beep "Sorry this voicemail box is full, try your LUCK again later." Thirty seconds later, my phone rings, it is, guess who, My old buddy SW. He says that your car is ready to pick up. I asked what the problem was, and he said they had to turn off the automatic feature, and made the alarm system passive, so that it would only alarm if the vehicle was actually broken into. I hung up with SW and called SM the Service Manager. I explained, he understood, and he asked what I wanted them to do, and I said I wanted the alarm system to work as per specifications, not crippled to short cut a repair procedure. He agreed to do just that, but stated that they would have to keep my car overnight, to which I readily agreed. I happened to look at the paper printed out for my Rental Car reimbursement by my old buddy SW. It was a list of options included on my car and he had HIGHLIGHTED the rental car reimbursement. Gee Not Even Close. So I called the toll free number they had NOT issued any number for my rental. I told the person the story, and he indicated that "It is not the Toyota dealers' responsibility to call and get the number, it is the owners responsibility." So I read the text of the Rental Reimbursement Plan per the paper received in the glove box of my new car, to him. He seemed to "maybe remember that now". Anyhow, he issued me a tracking number, and said that they would be happy to pay but it was "ONLY $35 PER DAY" I said pardon me, and he repeated You have to pay everything over $35 per day. I said "that sounds fine to me". According to their paper the correct amount is $30 per day.

So, are the Japanese built Toyotas really better than the US built Toyotas? Is the high quality of the Toyota a thing of the past? Will they be able to repair my car by noon, Wednesday as guessed by the SM? Will the dealer really NOT pay for my rental car? If the dealer won't pay, will the Rental Reimbursement plan pay? And, will they pay $30 per day, or will they pay $35 per day.

Stay tuned!!!

OBTW - So far, the car is wonderful, other than this one little problem!

Reply to
John Smith

I am not an expert on the 2007 models, but isn't that kind of alarm systems installed by the dealer or regional distributor (not the Toyota Factory). BTW, if you are serviced by Gulf States Toyota regional distributor, it is not even owned by Toyota.

Reply to
Mark A

Did you look at the Content Sticker?

I worked at a Toyota dealer last year, and "J" VINs were rare indeed. But, if you looked at the content sticker, the "4" VINs said

Parts Content: Domestic NA (North American) content: 75% Imported Content: 25% Source of Imported Content: Japan Engine: Japan Transmission: Japan

Guess what the "J" VIN stickers said...SAME THING!!!

NO ONE could tell me why! I surmised that, for some unknown reason, they were shipping bodies to Japan and installing the engines and transmission in Toyota City in Aichi. Either that or they were shipping parts back to Japan and assembling them there. I don't get it.

Either way, the Final Assy point determines the VIN. Since they were Final Assembled in Japan, they got "J" VINs...

If your dealer did so, you should find the Content Sticker in the package he gave you. We didn't care...we threw them away...

Reply to
Hachiroku

Someone (like the distributor) probably put the wrong content sticker on.

J's are rare in some parts of the country, but more common on the West coast of the US. Anyway, it is really irrelevant to the problem of the alarm, which may not even be factory installed (I admit ignorance on this).

Reply to
Mark A

[..]

Based on "one little problem" in ONE CAR (used for 30000 miles) you are going to doubt if japanese built toyotas are "better" from US built ones ? You are lacking scientific aproach :-)

Remeber: "better" does not have to mean "does not fail at all" :-)) Besides, alarms are usualy installed oustide of the factory, by the dealer crew of "technicians" :-)

Reply to
Pszemol

==================== Sounds like this is a question of service policy - dealership demeanor, rather than a reflection on build quality. Some dealers are more compassionate and customer service oriented than others. If you have a choice, any dealer can handle warranty issues. FWIW, my older Camry exhibited the exact same problem last week for the first time ever. If I pressed the key fob button again, it disabled the alarm sound then chirped three times to signal something amiss before rearming successfully. After a couple of incidents like this I went under the hood to the small black box on the strut tower. There is a wire running to it and an adjustment knob on top. My guess is that this is some type of activation detector device, because if I lift the car in the front (simulating unauthorized towing?) the alarm will sound. So I turned the adjustment knob back and forth once or twice, feeling a detent at the center, leaving it at the original position. So far so good. Problem has not returned.

Reply to
Daniel

Did you get any of the extra options on the alarm, such as the glass breakage sensor (port or dealer option)?

Reply to
SMS

The stickers are applied at the factory, I believe...

Reply to
Hachiroku

The problem is the "Don't give a Shit" Dealer. Toyota doesn't pay them squat for warranty repairs so they do not spend any effort. We have

2007 LE that was delivered with a two cuts in the rear center armrest. (I suspect they were put there by the guy who cut the clear plastic covering of off the seats with his trusty box cutter). It took 4 trips to the dealer and quite a few threats before it was replaced. They wouldn't fix it because the upholstry guy wasn't in and they wated him to patch the leather instead of ordering a new arm reast cover. They ended up swapping it from another new car on the lot. I guess whoever bought that car would have to settle for the Patch job.

I have to say I never had that much trouble with my Mitsubishi, Mini Cooper , Chevy Truck, Corvette or Ford truck. I would never recomend a Toyota to any one. The car is nice but the Service Sucks

Reply to
Fred C. Dobbs

In other words, you WOULD recommend that your friends buy Chevies or Fords. SOME friend. With friends like YOU, who needs enemies?

Reply to
sharx35

No, the car was used for 29 miles and COST $30,000!

What isn't this anecdotal evidence statistically significant?

We are just hoping that no more faillures occur for the next 10 years or

50,000 miles whichever comes first! (I put maybe 5,000 miles per year on a car)

Unfortunately, the dealer still has my car, and all of the paper that came with it is neatly filed in a white ring notebook in the trunk. I think the only security related items added after import were, the remote start, the push button start, and the glass break sensor. This is from memory, the dealer has removed my car from his online inventory list. If that is wrong, I will correct the list when I pick up my car.

Reply to
John Smith

Yes, it has the glass breakage sensor, and also, the remote start and the push button start both of which are not specifically alarm items, they both have a large impact on the security system.

The glass breakage sensor is a port of entry installed option (I am almost certain).

Reply to
John Smith

I doubt that this alarm system could be installed at the port and certainly not by the dealer. It is too integral to the vehicle, and is mostly standard equipment. There are two options that are directly related to the security system. The are PermaVin glass (the Automobiles VIN is etched permanently into the glass - making a tougher sell in the used stolen parts market), and glass break sensor. There are two more options that impact the security system greatly, they are remote start, and push button start. My car has all these options (save permavin which isn't involved in the alarm system).

Yes, I am serviced by Gulf States Toyota. But only when I buy a new Toyota! ;) Oh, I forgot, Gulf States Toyota owns 51% of Toyota rent-a-car who rented me the "Loaner" car.

Reply to
John Smith

I will look for the "content sticker " when I pick up the car!!

Reply to
John Smith