'03 Tundra Fog Lites....?

Just out of curiosity I ask this question:
It is my understanding that fog lites are designed to be used when there is fog to prevent your headlites from being reflected back at you (and hence
blinding you). Now, this being said, every other vehicle fog lites come on either when the switch is turned on or when turned on WITH the parking lites... But on my '03 Tundra, my regular headlites need to be on for the foglites to come on (and they go off when i turn on the highbeams, but I expected that). Has anyone else experienced this or am I alone?
I hope I'm alone on this one, because the set-up doesn't make sense given what I thought foglites were for...
--

-Raksashan

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 21:14:33 -0900, "Raksashan"

That is both normal and legal. My '90 Geo Storm was the same way. Many vehicles are modified to operate differently, and most aftermarket systems are not installed to operate "legally".
Fog and driving lights shall NEVER be used without your low-beams. The low-beam headlight has a low-level cutoff and will not reflect back. The fog beams offer a much more broad coverage in front of the vehicle, but their actual use is more for BEING SEEN than in improving what you can see.
I do like running mine because they provide a better view of the side of the road when it is very dark.
--- Rich http://richlockyer.tripod.com /
On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 21:14:33 -0900, "Raksashan"

Low beam headlights have an optical cutoff to keep the light down on the road, rather than up where the fog would make it bounce back at you, so they really don't cause a whole lot of glare.
Your Tundra is wired from the factory to meet most US states' Vehicle Codes, which require them to be on with (not instead of) the low beams.
Go read the legalese yourself: http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc24403.htm And if you get the urge to add fog taillights, there's http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc24602.htm
The idea is not to save you from any and all glare, but to stop morons from driving around with only their parking and fog lights on "because it really looks cool" - in real foggy conditions, it's too easy for other oncoming traffic to not realize that the object without the white headlights on is really a moving car (not just parked with the parking lights on) and drive into their path.
And before you say it, I'm not sure how many states have these rules, but I'm pretty sure it's widespread. It's easier for Toyota to just follow the most restrictive, and sell the same car in all 50 States.
--<< Bruce >>--
Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700
Raksashan wrote:

No, they come on with headlamps in low beam, unless it was installed a DIY'r.
--

Inasmuch as the Democrats are complaining on how long the war is taking,
consider this:

is
hence
on
the
given
All of the cars that I've owned need the headlights to be on for the fogs to operate. It isn't a glich, that is just the way that they do it. It is mainly your high beems that reflect back atcha.

Or a certain modified '03 Tundra :)
--- Rich http://richlockyer.tripod.com /
I have a 2000 Quad V8 and it does what you are describing. Talk to Toyota about I and they said this is by design and mandated by law for automobiles with foglites to turn off when the high beam are on. Does not make any sense but I am fine with it.

is

Maximum allowable wattage displayed in the forward direction.
Same reason that offroad lights must be covered or pointed down when on the highway.
--- Rich http://richlockyer.tripod.com /
This law goes back to the days of quad headlights. If someone turned his high beams on and his driving/fog lamps, you had 6 bulbs blinding on-coming traffic. Nowadays, when you turn you high beams on, the low beams stay on, so to make it legal, the driving/fog lamps are disabled.
--
Bill
Chesapeake, Va