Fog light recommendations? 96 camry

Hey guy I want to get some fog lights for my 96 Camry I see there are allot of types to choose from , any recommendations?

thanks

Reply to
The Baker

Not for brand or model, but I have one for color: with so many white "fog lights" available, make sure you get an actual yellow-amber set, because only that color will actually let you see better in fog or snow.

Reply to
mjc1

Piaa are well known.

Reply to
ransley

Save your money....

Ed

Reply to
Ed White

I have had a few people tell me that fog lights do not help you see any better in fog..

Reply to
The Baker

The white ones certainly don't - they make it worse. The yellow-amber ones do help, especially if you can risk turning off your headlights (but not your parking/tail lights!). I've had several cars with real fog lights and they do help when used properly. The yellow light penetrates better and gets reflected back much less.

Reply to
mjc1

"mjc13" opin'd thus:

The problem is that Camrys are wired so that the fog lights will not come on unless the headlights are already on; thus defeating the purpose of the fog lights. I'd like to make it so that turning on the fog lights will also turn on the tail lights . . . or else so that the fog lights will only come on if the parking lights (including the tail lights) are on. Any clues on how to do that?

Reply to
Don Fearn

Your best bet is to wire them with a separate switch and relay - that's what I always did back when I used fog lights. Then you can turn them on with the low beams for light to moderate fog, and with just the parking lights in really thick soup. If you want to use a factory setup (and if they have yellow-amber lights available) just use it for everything except the wiring.

Reply to
mjc1

Do not use fog lights for general driving. They can cause unsafe driving conditions for on coming traffic. Make sure the fog lights are aimed lower than the headlights. Yellow fog lights may not look as pretty but do a better job in the fog.

Reply to
Clay

That's not a problem I drive up into the mountains like 4 am I pass very few cars and I am careful with my high beams, there are no lights on the road and everyone is pretty good about keeping lights dim when approaching cars are seen.

Reply to
The Baker

Clay opin'd thus:

How so? I usually keep my fog lights off unless there's fog. But it's hard to tell when they're on under normal conditions unless I check; there's no light or anything inside telling me if they're on or not, only the position of the switch. I didn't think leaving them on was a big deal because they're aimed lower than the headlights.

Yes, they are. They're also aimed off to the sides further than the headlights; I thought that was the point . . . to avoid light being reflected back into the driver's eyes.

Yup. I need to do something about the stock setup with white lights that only come on when the headlights are on. They don't do much useful that way . . . .

-Don

Reply to
Don Fearn