05 Manual Taco harder on gas than the auto?

On Toy's CDN website, the 05 V6 6-speed manual gets lower gas mileage than the auto....is this correct??

Reply to
Brad P

I've always wondered how they got the gas mileage figures for manual transmissions, since individual driving habits probably affect them more than auto trannies. I mean...in the past, did they pick 20 drivers from some Toyota office, let them drive a vehicle, and use the stats from the person who got the best mileage? Perhaps now, they're taking the same 20 drivers and averaging their results.

Or, I'm totally wrong, and there's a mechanical design reason why the mileage is worse. In that case, never mind. :-)

Reply to
Doug Kanter

| | I've always wondered how they got the gas mileage figures for manual | transmissions, since individual driving habits probably affect them more | than auto trannies. I mean...in the past, did they pick 20 drivers from some | Toyota office, let them drive a vehicle, and use the stats from the person | who got the best mileage? Perhaps now, they're taking the same 20 drivers | and averaging their results. | | Or, I'm totally wrong, and there's a mechanical design reason why the | mileage is worse. In that case, never mind. :-) | |

I read an article about this where they had a specially trained driver who milked everything he could out of the car/truck he was driving to obtain the best mileage figures. The tests were conducted at a controlled track with no, or very little wind, near sea level with optimum temperatures and humidity. Hardly a real world scenario.

Jarhead

"We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion...Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other."

-John Adams

Reply to
Jarhead

I allways take the manfactures estemates in vain. When working as a firefighter years ago we received training on the SCBA (air packs). The figures were given that a tank of air was to last 45 minutes. Reality was

20 to 30 minutes if you were not excited or working very much. After using one for a while I asked the manfacture rep how they came to the 45 minute use time. They explained that they hooked it to a manacan that simulated normal breathing and a tank lasted 45 minutes. Go figure.....

C.

Reply to
C.

I hope you slipped a "this is not a toy" trash bag over that rep's head for a minute or two, as a demo, and perhaps an illustration of why they should update their specs. :-)

Reply to
Doug Kanter

i have a 2005 tacoma 4x4 with six speed v6 4.ol,18.5 in town,if you push it over seventy mileage drops real quick.yota2005

Reply to
yota2005