22RE question...

Is it normal for a 22RE fuel injected "new"(< one year old) engine to sound like it has a toddler under the hood shaking a rattle? The motor sounds fine when it's first started but as it warms up and you rev it you can really hear it, particularly when it returns to idle. When the truck's in gear(AT) you can't really hear it all that much. Runs decent otherwise, no overheating, great oil pressure, compression, etc. I pulled the valve cover(after moving 50 miles of rubber hoses) and looked in there but everything looked fine, so I'm starting to worry that my problem lies deeper into the engine; may be a good time to sell the thing before all hell breaks loose. Damn motor was just installed last April at a shop when the previous owner had it too, must've been some POS the garage had and threw a coat of paint on it to make it look new, dude spent $2000 on the rattle-box! It did have a slight rattle when I bought it but I recently changed the oil and after that it's gotten way louder, I wonder if it's because I used synthetic in it? Hmmm.BTW, the truck is an '87 & still solid as a rock, even the bed...unbelieveably.

Reply to
Robbo

scott and barb

Except he says the engine runs fine when cold - when the timing chain slap would be most pronounced. On the other hand he says it knocks when under load (when he revs the engine) which would indicate a loose or bad timing chain.

Given this is a destruct engine i.e. good-by valves if timing chain breaks, he should check it.

Reply to
grinder

hey dude befor i tell you my story ill tell you that i have three other confirmed cases of this from some of my Yota buddies... It is your timing chain... 22re?s weekest link... not the chain itself but the chain guides that are mounted on either side of the chain... they are made of plastic... when the chain wears out it rubbes these guides until they break causing the chain to rotate outwards against the cast of the cover and the head... grinding down the aluminum over a long time... the kicker is that the piecses that are small enough (ground up) will end up in you oil pick up and will slowly choke out you oil but will not effect the pressure... I love my 22RE ive had it for two years and it finally died. It was the original moter in a Yota P/U that has 250,000 miles on it... The moter didnt die or even smoke it self to death. water in my oil has caused an overhaul. During this overhaul I discovered two 1/4 inch groves in my timing cover and a pile of debris at the bottem... these were the timing guides... If you are smart and love your 22RE check out that chain... Befor you end up like my and my pals searching on the internet endlessly for replacment motors... Dont think i wasnt inquisitive myself when i started hearing the sound your descibing 9 out of the 10 mechanics said that it was somthing else... Bearings, waterpump, exhaust manafold gasket ect... THe one who gave the right assesment also told me not to worry about it... but it is serious. take care friend and good luck.

Reply to
wankerYOTAlover