05 Tundra: Fuel Light

...waited until the low fuel lamp came on before filling my new Tundra (first tank), and it took 21.750 gallons at $2.63 for premium ($57.40). Since the tank is 24.6 gals, assume there was about 3 gals left. The manual said to fill up an 1/4 tank level, but I just wanted to maximize the effect and see how big of a bill I could ring up. Cheap thrills for a Sunday...

Reply to
Jonnie Santos

IIRC, you have a 26.4 gallon tank, not 24.6 You can't use something like the last gallon or so. I've put in more than 23 on numerous occasions. The most I've ever taken has been about 23.9.

Why are you buying premium? Why are you paying $2.63?

I'm in an area of high gas, and I'm paying $2.21 at Costco.

--- Rich

Rich Lockyer

...you're right on the tank size (thanks).

re: octane - the manual said regular was fine, and added performance was available with premium (my paraphrase). Honestly I just wanted to see how big of a gas bill I could get (warped sense of fun I guess).

I'm in San Diego and the Costco is just a couple 3 miles from the station where I bought today.

Reply to
Jonnie Santos

So you deliberately gave them a good $5 extra? It's your money...

The reason for filling at 1/4 tank is then you always have fuel over the in-tank electric fuel pump, letting it run cooler. Running the tank dry often is very hard on the pump because the fuel is also the lubricant, and the bearings can be damaged by running the pump dry. And fuel pumps are $250 to $500, installation extra, and when they die you are not going anywhere till it's fixed.

Plus you always have enough gas for emergencies - Welcome to Earthquake Country. For those of you back east, substitute Fires, Floods, Hurricanes, Blizzards, Panicked Hospital ER Runs when the kid chops off a toe, etc. - you never know when having that 1/4 tank of fuel always in reserve will save your life.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

The best price I've seen lately on the West Coast is $1.919 for Conoco (76) regular at the Flying J truck stop in Troutdale, Oregon...and they pump for you.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Shelton

I thought the bearings were sealed. And that the fuel is actually used to help cool the pump, besides of course, to run the engine! :)

Reply to
Howard

Another reason I think I like Oregon!

Reply to