1997 Camry and Check Engine Light

About two weeks ago my CEL came on. This also happened about 4 years ago when a gas station attendant (no self-serve in NJ) didn't close the gas tank cover properly. Well, that's not the case this time even though it came on a few days after filling up with gas from a Lukoil station. Previously, I had only bought from Mobil and Exxon stations.

The car has gone 126,000 miles so it's a prime candidate for things to start failing, nevertheless, I'm also aware that CEL problems can lead to "windfall" profits for some garages. Before taking it in (yes, I know, they connect to the MCU board and get back a diagnostic code and this service can be free), I strongly suspect the "new" gas has something to do with it and will wait till the tank is empty then refill with my favorite gas.

Am I being prudent or foolish? My wife refuses to drive with me with the CEL on. Also, the post below caught my attention;

============== "He has had quite a few "check engine" light problems which he traced to the 87 octane. He told me to stay away from the off brands, because they had a range of components in the gasoline that would cause the check engine light to come on.

I had this happen to my other car, a 2001 camry v6. It can run on 87. I put some "cheap 87 gas" in it and the next day the check engine light came on. I took it to them after several days and they could not find anything wrong. I attribute this to cheap gas." ==============

Reply to
oparr

CEL is a nasty problem which once it starts keeps poking its head again and again. CEL will not affect you in any way in a short run but its a good thing to get it checked. Also you can go to auto zone and have them read the code for free and then go to the mechenic. That way you know what you are getting into.

Regarding the octane rating....I am not sure. My mechenic suggested me to stay away from 87 becuase it causes problems. But doesnt make sense to me because otherwise why would all these car companies ask to use 87 grade. There may be some sense to stay away from independent gas stations as they can have pretty bad quality.

Reply to
learnfpga

Googling >"check engine light" "cheap gas"< can be very informative....This post for example;

=================== "The light should really be called "emissions system" light, but then nobody would ever have it checked. In many models other fault codes are also piggy-backed onto the mandatory emissions related codes, which complicates the decision." ===================

Not closing the gas tank cover until it clicks can trigger the CEL in Camrys and other models. So while you may have a point, I can't agree with you all the way. What I'm almost certain of is that unscrupulous garages take advantage of this state of affairs especially if you aren't around to see the exact code yourself. Also, several cases of genuinely misdiagnosed problems have resulted in customers paying for new installations they never needed. In most cases, the customer isn't any wiser.

Reply to
oparr

Toyota could have easily programmed the Odometer LCD display (or any other in-dash display) to give a dump of diagnostic codes on demand, and give an index of codes in the user manual. Since Toyota chose not to do so, I am guessing this is to fatten the wallets of the dealership service department.

About five years ago I took my '96 Camry to the dealership - check engine light. Turns out I needed a new gas cap. $90+ later...

Purchasing an OBD-II readout (or borrowing AutoZone's) is probably the way to go. If only I'd known then that AutoZone would provide the service for free...

Reply to
onehappymadman

Googling >"check engine light" "gas cap" camry< returns many hits. Yes, a trip to Autozone can avoid horror stories like these;

================= "I've had a problem with the check engine light coming on in my 2000 Camry LE V6 since I got the car new in 2000. The dealer keeps replacing the charcol canister, oxygen sensor, gas cap, recalibrated the computer and it's still happening. 5 times since February 2004." =================

Reply to
oparr

Start with something cheap, a new gas cap, that is where the issue started.

Reply to
m Ransley

It may be bad computer also. I went to dealer yesterday with my 1999 camry with 72000 miles on it. My CEL kept coming on the code was 1133 and 1135. Inspite of replacing the AF ratio sensor the problem persisted. I found somewhere the in case of emissions the warranty covers till 8 years or 96000 miles. Asked the dealer to fix it. The computer will be replaced free of charge hurray!!!!

Reply to
learnfpga

FWIW - I have a '96 CamryDX w/ 250,000 miles. The CEL came on at around

140,000. Replaced an O2 sensor, that was ok. Then CEL came on again @ 180,000 the other O2 sensor was gone. Make a long story short, can't get the O2 sensor out, have been driving with the CEL ON for at least 80,000 miles. Only time I reset the CEL is before inspection, then it seems to fault after 35 miles or so..No degradation in performace or milage.
Reply to
steve-o

Bought a scanner and pulled code P1135 (A/F sensor heater circuit malfunction) then erased the code. It's a California compliant 4 Cyl

1997 Camry assembled in Japan, which seems odd since I bought it new in NJ back in early 1997.

Logically, one would think replacing the A/F sensor would be the next thing to do but I'm waiting to see if it shows up again and possibly with something else. In the meanwhile I'll get a sensor socket in readiness. Won't buy the actual sensor (around $150.00) until ready to change.

Reply to
oparr

Bought a scanner and pulled code P1135 (A/F sensor heater circuit malfunction) then erased the code. It's a California compliant 4 Cyl

1997 Camry assembled in Japan, which seems odd since I bought it new in NJ back in early 1997.

Logically, one would think replacing the A/F sensor would be the next thing to do but I'm waiting to see if it shows up again and possibly with something else. In the meanwhile I'll get a sensor socket in readiness. Won't buy the actual sensor (around $150.00) until ready to change.

Reply to
oparr

After erasing the code and driving around 26 miles, two pending codes appeared......P0171 (Air/Fuel mixture lean) and P1135 (A/F sensor heater circuit malfunction). Five miles later and the CEL was on again with P1135 MIL code and P0171 still pending. Ordered the A/F sensor (Denso 234-9024) and sensor socket today.

Reply to
oparr