1988 Toyota Pickup V6 Automatic Transmission, has problem

When I Start the truck and put it in Drive it takes 15+ minutes for it to kick into gear and go it started with reverse then it started to do it when i put it in drive. Now it will not move at all. Any ideas? Just bought truck for $1400, a used tranny+transfer case will be another $400. Thanks for the Help

Reply to
dezrik

What does the fluid look and smell like? (Dark & dirty looking, smell burned?) Have you pulled the pan and changed the fluid and filter?

I hope it is not as bad as it sounds for you.

Charles

Reply to
Charles

The previous posting is correct. The first thing to do is determine the condition of the fluid. It should look and smell like fresh trans fluid i.e. pinkish-red in color and smelling like oil. If it's dark brown and smells burnt, that's bad. The second thing to check is the line pressure. It sounds like the trans is not generating sufficient hydraulic pressure to operate the valve body. I hate to be a pessimist, but this sounds bad. Good luck. Al

Reply to
al

The Fluid looks fine, smells fine. What Part would cause it to have no pressure? It sounds like its going to get expensive

Reply to
dezrik

The auto trans is a hydraulic system that depends on hydraulic pressure to operate. There is an internal pump that generates fluid pressure. If nothing works, it could be that the pump is bad. Often, an internal leak in the valve body causes loss of hydraulic pressure in that part of the valve body where the leak is and that affects whatever that part of the valve body controls e.g. a particular gear. I presume the fluid level is correct. Yes, not likely an easy fix. Good luck. Al

Reply to
al