2005 Clunking Noise

Hello All,

I have a 2005 Tacoma with clunking noise coming from, what sounds like the rear, during shifting. It tends to happen when I'm going on or off of the clutch and can be noticed at low speeds. Looking to fix this noise but not 100% sure if this is normal or fixable. Thoughts?

TIA,

-paul

Reply to
Paul Flansburg

Drive shaft bearings?

Reply to
Jim in South Florida

Haven't taken anything apart yet. Was looking for some guidance as too the sound. Kinda hoping that someone else had the same issue, but doesn't have to be associated to a 2005 Taco.

-paul

Reply to
Paul Flansburg
06-12-07 07:48 If you haven't, you should grease the drive shaft slip joint. I believe this was a common complaint. Let us know.
Reply to
ed_herman

Thanks Ed,

Is there any instructions that show how this is done? What needs to be taken apart so that I can perform this? Is there a grease of choice for this?

-paul

Reply to
Paul Flansburg

I believe there was a TBS out on this something to do with the rear springs

Reply to
haha

06-13-07 19:32 Maybe your 05 is different, but my 04 has a grease zerk at each universal joint, 3 in the double cardan joint and one at the slip joint. Your owners manual should discuss this if you have them. Nothing to disassemble. Ed
Reply to
ed_herman

Thanks Ed,

I'm going to climb under the truck this weekend and have a look. I do grease several zerks when I change the oil, but I'm not sure how many. I may already do the one's your talking about. If by some chance I am greasing all of them and the noise persist then do you, or anybody else, have any ideas about fixing the noise?

-paul

Reply to
Paul Flansburg

Okay....Got under the 2005 Tacoma this weekend and found 5 zerks and greased them. That's it!!! The truck has 4WD with 34K on it an it still clunks. Need some suggestions on this. Toyota dealer is screwing around by saying they can't find anything......Help!

-paul

Reply to
Paul Flansburg

Where are the 5 zerks?

Reply to
B A R R Y

All zerks are located on the drive shafts. 2 of them are on the shaft for the 4WD and the other 3 are on the shaft for the rear wheels. The

3 out of the transmission to the rear have one on the connection to the tranny, another on the connection to the rear end and the 3rd where the two drive shafts connect. I could not find any other zerks or lube points. Also, I have the 6 speed manual tranny in the truck.
Reply to
Paul Flansburg

As do I, and I can only find one.

I obviously have to look harder!

Reply to
B A R R Y

What year? You really can't miss the zerk's. Do you have any clunking noise form the rear of the truck?

Reply to
Paul Flansburg

2005 4WD V6 6 speed manual TRD w/ tow Access Cab.

I can only find one zerk, at the aft end of the rear drive shaft. When I bought the truck, I paid $10 to download all the service practices from techinfo.toyota.com. The lube procedure only referenced one spot, so I never looked that close. It's not like I enjoy spending long periods laying underneath.

My truck has a very minor, imperceptable to others unless I point it out, clunk, if I shift from reverse to forward on a hill. This is way less noticable than 4WD engagement, to add a comparison. I only notice it on the first start of the day, as my driveway provides all the proper conditions. It's been there from day one and hasn't changed in 17,000 miles. My truck often sits for 3-4 days in a row, and will not do it on subsequent, same-day trips out of the driveway.

I always assumed it was the rear differential slip yoke unsticking with the first weight transfer and never really thought more of it. Remember, RWD driveshafts need to slightly change length as the suspension travels. I've had other 4x4's that had a similar thing, including my '99 Wrangler.

The other thought that crossed my mind was some sort of auto-adjusting mechanism on the rear brakes, as both the Wrangler and the Tacoma have rear drums. In both cases, it's so very minor, I never bothered to ask the dealerships. Yours sounds more noticeable than mine, so I didn't want to call your noise "normal".

Reply to
B A R R Y

If you have a 2005 Tacoma with 4wd then you have 5 zerks. Now I don't know if you have an extended cab or crew cab, but my extended cab has

5 zerks. I suggest you get under and look and lube. Run your hand around all of the connection points.

Anyone else got the same truck and want to comment on this????

Reply to
Paul Flansburg

I checked, and it does have 5 fittings.

How do the zerks always stop in the UP (hidden) position? Thanks for the heads-up. I'll hit 'em this weekend. Luckily, my truck only has 17k, and the drivetrain has never been submerged, so I probably haven't hurt anything.

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

I plan on it. The Access Cab is the 2005+ Extended Cab.

Thanks!

Reply to
B A R R Y

Jesus, are they down to 5 now? My 98 has 8 and I thought that was pretty anemic!

[...]

: > The other thought that crossed my mind was some sort of auto-adjusting : > mechanism on the rear brakes, as both the Wrangler and the Tacoma have : > rear drums. In both cases, it's so very minor, I never bothered to ask : > the dealerships. Yours sounds more noticeable than mine, so I didn't : > want to call your noise "normal". : : If you have a 2005 Tacoma with 4wd then you have 5 zerks. Now I don't : know if you have an extended cab or crew cab, but my extended cab has : 5 zerks. I suggest you get under and look and lube. Run your hand : around all of the connection points. : : Anyone else got the same truck and want to comment on this???? :

Reply to
Fuller Rath

My '99 Jeep Wrangler only has 7, and they're all in the front steering gear and the front axle ball joints, ala 1950's solid axle front ends. It's got zero on the drivetrain.

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

I remember looking at Wranglers when I bought my 98 Toy. Yes, the u joints had no zerks. Bad idea. I only got about 40,000 miles out of a sealed set like that.

Reply to
Fuller Rath