1990 - 1994 4runner - Things to look for?

I'm in the market for a 4runner in these years, as they seem to be the most common in my price range. I know about the head gasket recall for the V6 engines, but other than that, what should I be looking for when I test drive/look over these trucks? I'll be looking at both 4cyl and V6 engines.

Thanks!

Reply to
hdizzle

4 wheels and a workin motor and tranny, lol. serously I have a 90 and find it to be great. there's a small rattle near the rear end, and hole in the exaust. i dont know of anything besides the head gasket for the 6cyl motor that is chronic for that model.
Reply to
mudmonkey

Apart from rusty bits if run in sand or salt for long periods, Id say look for the usual things, worn pedal rubbers, heavy hits underneath (meaning some extreme offroading already done in it), Speedo windbacks (Uneven digits on clock), blue exhaust smoke, no coolant in the radiator water, good tyres etc.

I've a 91 RV6 SR5 4Runner that still runs fine with no issues. They did do a

4runner recall on the steering rod relay that I had fixed by Toyota for nothing last year (Hmm or was that early this year, times a flying this year!)

If its got a good interior and pretty good origional paint then chances are that the cars gunna be a good one.

Scotty

Reply to
Scotty

Sounds good guys, thanks for the advice. Any transmission quirks that could be co$tly to fix? This rig wouldn't be a daily driver (I carpool with the wife), more for fishing/camping trips and light offroad (logging roads mostly), I just don't want to think I'm getting a bargain when in reality, it's a money pit. Though everything I've heard about the 4runners and their reliability suggests that's not too likely

Reply to
hdizzle

Anything with a Toyota badge will serve you well if you maintain it.

The 4runners arent suseptable to any particular issues apart from the head gasket one thats usually been well and truely sorted by now anyway.

Stick some nice 15x7 wheels with 31/10.5-15 rubber, some decent shockies and they will go most places you point them.

Scotty

Dont forget to post some pics the first time you get it bogged/covered head to toe in mud ;o)

Reply to
Scotty

Reply to
jp2express

Well all our new Hiluxs are now bulit in Thailand and the older Japanese built ones are holding thier value to a much better degree.

They are still bloody good vehicles though.

Reply to
Scotty

========= ========= Don't listen to those fools............. cuz they ARE NOT listen'n to you.

You told'm you were buy'n a 17 year old truck...... and they told you it would be ok! Fine truck. Get one. (that's what they're tell'n you)

well..........

now......who's the bigger dummy.........

you for expect'n to git a 17 year old TRUCK..(4wd)... that's NOT a money pit.......

or....... them..for tell'n you it wouldn't be.

anywhoooooooo..............

you asked what to be look'n for...??...

look for a loan company.......yer gonna need one.

They were JUNK.......when they were new....and they're junk now that they're 17 years old.

fact.......not fiction.

~:~ MarshMonster ~scrapes the grease outta his cuts......piss's in his coffee cup... pours ina bit of crownroyal.....takes a slug.....~ ~:~

Reply to
Marsh Monster

Sorry to reply late Is this still a valid question, or have you bought or reconsidered? Have a 93 v6 with 227k/141k kilometers/miles, canadian - 7 years sand,

7 years salt.
Reply to
DonLogan

I have a '90 4Runner with 150k miles and a 22RE engine. Still runs great. Things I would check are water pump (on my third), timing chain (on my second), clutch (on my second) and general integraty of the welds. I had the weld holding at the rear axle and vertical member that attaches to the body break on me. Took out the break line. And I don't take it off road nor drive it rough. Also had the weld holding the drivers side locking mechanism break.

Reply to
grinder

YOu surely mustve gotten yourself a Frisday build there. For 150K miles I wouldntve expected that any repairs unless you drove it hard. 3rd water pump, hmmmm, leaks or breakdowns?

Reply to
Scotty

Not really. I got 125k miles on my first clutch. The water pumps seem to start leaking like clockwork at 50k (BTW, I don't how ones driving habits could contribute to water pump wear). Where one could drive beyond the recommendation for timing chain replacement, it is a gamble I did not want to make since it is a destructive engine (again driving habits would not affect timing chain wear unless I let it idle overnight while it is not being used). Turns out there were two broken links which were slapping the cover. I also had 3 of the bolts attaching the exhaust pipe to the engine snap off.

Reply to
grinder