1991 automatic trans

My neighbor is having automatic transmission problems on a 1991 Toyota 4x4. I guess it's a 3 speed four wheel drive pickup with a 22r motor. The rebuild kit specified for this trans also fits some jeep product as well. He knows nothing about rebuilding a trans and I know even less. The bottom line is that he replaced the clutch plates, gaskets and other various parts that came with the kit, and the transmission still has no forward and very little reverse. So I would suspect that he didn't botch the rebuild, he just didn't fix the fault. Could anyone enlighten two dummies as to what could be the problem? We are trying to avoid a $2800 bill by having it professionally rebuilt. Are there any online resources for toyota transmissions? Tnx bg

Reply to
bg