92 K1500 Trans Rebuild $

Just an FYI for anyone considering a rebuild on their 7004R. Cost $850.00 all total. Don't know if thats the average price but its the going rate around where I live. North AL

Reply to
Elbert

yeah

right

Reply to
TranSurgeon

so what do your comments "yeah right" infer?

Reply to
Elbert

that a '850 total' overhaul price on a 700R4 (UNLESS you are talking JUST the transmission) is a bare-bones hope-it-makes-it-past-the-warranty price

Reply to
TranSurgeon

That barely covers the parts eh?

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

I did not represent it for anything other than what I said. I told the guys to rebuild the transmission and that's what they charged me. I did not give them a price range, neither did I say put the cheapest crap in there and just get it to work and make it off the lot. The people who did the work have worked on two of my cars in the past and I've never had a problem with their work. This is a private shop that mainly deals in transmission work.

I did not go down there and say give me the $2,000 special........

I did look around to see what some of the on-line rebuilt transmissions cost like TCI and B&M and I did price the work at a different location.

I did see where some shops are charing around $1,500 or more.

The shop pulled the transmission, "rebuilt" it, and re-installed the transmission. Beyond that I don't specifically know what they did, I was not physically present when the job was done.

I do see on the invoice a trans rebuild kit and some hard parts listed along with a torque converter.

I'm telling you what happened and what I paid.

Maybe your idea of rebuilding the transmission means something else I don't know.

No-one made mention of different levels of overhauling the transmission. I am aware that one can replace a number of hard parts etc.. I have to trust the transmission shop to replace whatever hard parts they judge to be damaged and go from there.

So what are you saying is a fair price for this type of work?

Reply to
Elbert
2WD- $ 1200 4WD- $ 1350

3yr / 60,000 mile warranty

external cooler installed

Reply to
TranSurgeon

depends on what's busted

got a joker in the next burg east of here that's doing 4L60E's for 875 complete

of course, the warranty is only good until you sit inside and turn the key.................

Reply to
TranSurgeon

Where are you located? What about a 4L60E?

Reply to
Stephen Young

western IL

60E:

2WD - $ 1450

4WD - $ 1600

same warranty, same cooler also bigger pump boost valve, and repair worn bores in valve body, plus new EPC solenoid

converters on both 700's and 60E's are matched to customer's intended usage: high stall speed (1650) for highway use, medium stall (1400) for combo, low-stall for RV and towing (1150)

all the power in the world does no good on the end of the crank, you must couple it efficiently to use it, lower stall-speed converter will help you get a big load moving easier

Reply to
TranSurgeon