1990 4x4 a/c compressor replacement

Does anyone have any suggestions on where to buy a new a/c compressor or whether a rebuilt one is a good idea. Any help will be appreciated.

Reply to
Art Vandolay

new $470 rebuilt $ 350

Change to a new aftermarket Seltec or Sanden, $300

Reply to
I'm Right

Reply to
Art Vandolay

imho: "New" is best, but a "used" compressor is a better bet than a "rebuilt" one. The Nippondenso 10PA17C compressor (assuming you have a

3VZ-E) was used on numerous vehicles. I think mine was from an Eagle Talon, off eBay, and I'm pleased! Use your current pulley/clutch, if the "new" one is different.
Reply to
Jeff

I found an A/C compressor at a salvage yard for $60. My mechanic said a used one would be just as good as rebuilt so we shall see. Hopefully the entire job will be less painful than I thought.

Reply to
Art Vandolay

I looked around at junkyards and I found a compressor on a wrecked 1990

4 Runner for $40. I think I got a steal.
Reply to
Art Vandolay

have a

That depends on how they are rebuilt. I would go for a new or rebuilt with a warranty. You could try Auto Zone or Advanced Auto. (I have bought a few compressors from the later one with no problems) Also, if you are converting to R134a, it runs at a 10 to 20% higher pressure in service than R12 does so you really want a new or rebuilt one to start with. Make sure you replace reciever/dryer too no matter what compressor you use.

Reply to
SnoMan