1991 pickup

I am having starter problems. I have checked connections etc... just get that clicking noise sometimes. My truck it auotmatic and air. Help me with starter removal tips... It looks awlful tight dropping it out thru the bottom? Tranny lines?>

tips> help!

Reply to
Dave Miller

Does it work sometimes and other times it clicks and clicks then starts? It could be the starter contacts, that was the problem with mine. I did a google search on news groups and found lots of answers, it's a common problem.

John

Reply to
Mambo

Try this for a blow by blow description to rebuilding the starter.

Conase

Thanks for the info. I really am looking for a person that has removed this starter~ 22r with auto and air~ Not much room to drop it down...

Any tips as the book gives none!

Reply to
Dave Miller

I have some tips on my page:

Tip #1, remove access plate

Reply to
Roger Brown

I replaced mine on a 85 22R manual with a/c a few months back, real simple:

1) put truck on ramps 2) discconect negative battery cable - a must! 3) unplug wiring connections to the starter 4) remove slave clutch cylinder mounting bracket, I think one of the starter mounting bolts also bolts the clutch cylinder bracket 5) tackle the lower mounting bolt from below per step 3 6) tackle the upper mounting bolt from above with socket/extensions, not much maneuvering room and can only move this bolt a few clicks of the ratchet for each turn 7) remove starter from below 8) install new one by doing steps 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1

Dave Miller wrote:

Reply to
Johnny Houston