2004 V8 Tundra auto transmission slips while shifitng

Went test driving a few '04 Tundras with V6 and V8's. I noticed a severe hesitation while on the freeway which appears to be a transmission slip and then severe upshift in one of the Limited V8 models.

It was almost as if it were coasting in neutral for an instant between shifts and then slammed into gear. Of course the salesman denied any knowledge of transmission problems as I would expect, but he did look wide-eyed when it happened.

Do these trucks have a problem with their automatic transmissions?

TIA

BP~

Reply to
B. Peg

My 2002 (V-8) has alway been a lazy shifter.

But that sounds way beyond.

Reply to
Bob H

There have been a small number of reports of transmission failures with earlier Tundras. The '03 and '04 have slightly different transmissions from earlier years. Maybe that truck has low fluid or a bad tranny. I have 30k on my Tundra and no problems with the transmission or anything else.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Shelton
50k here on my '03 and it's doing fine... never been back to the dealer.

Something that is a little hard to get used to (especially after driving a manual tranny for 200,000 miles) is the lockup torque convertor... any release in engine load, such as during a throttle reduction, results in the convertor unlocking and RPM bumping up by

200-300 before settling back down. It feels like the tranny is hunting between 3rd and OD, but it is solidly in OD.

--- Rich

Rich Lockyer