1999 4Runner gear problem

Hello everone,

I have a 1999 4Runner 4cyl manual and lately, the third gear has been slipping out. It only appears to happen when it is on third gear. Any suggestions as to what the problem might be? Clutch ? Tranny?

Thanks much for any help...

-Joe.

Reply to
Joe

I expect the selectors are worn. As far as I know the only cure is to replace them in the gear box. I may be wrong but I am sure someone will put me right if I am.

Reply to
Merlin

Didn't you just ask the exact same question in a.a.t?

Same answer as you got over there - if the vehicle has high mileage, there are a few nylon bushings in the shift tower linkage that wear out. Cheap to replace, but a bit of work to get to them.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Thank you for your replies... the mileage is 135000, so yeah, it is a little high.. Does anyone how much a job like this would cost at the dealership?

Thanks again..

-Joe.

Reply to
Joe

Not so bad, I'd imagine. On my 2WD Tacoma it was an hours' work and $20 in parts. This at 125K on the odometer, reinforcing the diagnosis I might add.

Seems to me the main difficulty with leaving it to the dealership is some are unscrupulous and would want to replace or rebuild the trans.

Reply to
Mike Harris