1999 tacoma sliding rear window removal

Hi, The driver's side outer pane of my sliding rear window is broken, and I'd like to replace it myself. I was wondering if getting the entire window out of the truck can be done without any special tools, and if so, would someone please post instructions for doing so? I've already seen another post with instructions for replacing the pane once the window frame is out of the truck, and that didn't sound too difficult...

Thanks, Jeremy Gordon

Reply to
Jeremy Gordon

I don't even know if this still applies, but I'll post it. People used to use a cord or small rope to install and remove these windows. This image is for a dodge ram, but I think they are all similar.

Might help if someone doesn't post anything better.

Reply to
Harrison

Jeremy, Actually you are right! Removing the rear window is quit easy. Basically the rear window is held in by a single rubber gasket. There is nothing else holding it in. All you need to do to remove it is:

  1. Start from the inside of the truck and start prying the black rubber gasket loose while pushing out on the window (make sure you use something that won't damage the gasket, unless u want to buy a new one). I used a butter knife.
  2. If you have a slider, use your shoulder to push out the window while holding the other side of the window with you hand/arm so it doesn't fall. If you have someone to help you, have the sit on the other side of the window so it doesn't fall.

To put back in

-put gasket around the window frame (as it was before)

-Get a piece of cord about 1/4 of an inche thick and place it in the gasket track (ie where the gasket sits on the truck)

-have someone hold the window in place.

-get on the inside of the cab and have the person on the outside of the cab push hard

-the person inside should pull the cord towards the center of the window, pulling the gasket into place.

*this takes some time an patients (about 2 hrs. your first time by yourself)

If you or anyone is interested I learned how to do this by buying a powerslider on ebay (best $160 I spent on my 95 1/2 tacoma) and installing it myself (took me about 6 hrs. to install it) Heres the link

Jake