2000 XJ rear window

OK, so the glass places I have called so far have quoted $182 (just for the window) and $287 for window + install for the little window I broke in back. She said I would have been better off breaking a bigger window! I should have broke the windshield... I have a $100 deductible on that!

OK, I know there's a bunch of XJ's in the salvage yards around here. I might go get one myself and just pay to have it installed if it comes out cheaper, or install it myself if it isn't too hard. There shouldn't be any difference between the years for the most part on that window right? I know one place has a few 97's or 98's in there.

Any idea how hard to pull one out and install? Should I just save myself the trouble and eat the $250 - $300?

For anyone that didn't read my other post, I have a broken rear passenger window. Those windows are split like 70/30 and I broke out the smaller one (the one that doesn't roll down).

Man those were some expensive ducks!

Reply to
Kevin Sperle

twaldron

Would you guys believe that the lowest price I have gotten on the replacement window so far is from the dealership! The appocolypse must be upon us.

Actually, I have found a salvage yard with a used one for $35. Hopefully the factory tint or smoked glass (on the one they have) is close to my aftermarket tint and it will be usable. Should only cost $20-30 for the glass place to install it. If I can get this done for $65 I'll consider myself extremely LUCKY! Losest total cost for new so far is $187!

When in doubt, break the bigger window! I was thinking that to myself, but didn't do it.

Reply to
Kevin Sperle

YEAH! Found a used one for $32.50 at the local salvage yard. I was already removed and everything, and the tint matched perfect. I think I'll just install it myself. Looks like it attaches with two torx screws, once you get the door panel off. Should be easy.

I'm considering myself lucky!

Reply to
Kevin Sperle

Reply to
twaldron

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

No this place is pretty good, I've dealt with some other ones like you describe before though. They did have it, I picked it up at lunch. They had some newer cherokees and they had all of the doors and windows dissasembled and inside the vehicle. I literally walked up to it, pulled it out of the backseat and was on my way. They disassemble quite a bit of their vehicles and most get stored by part type. Axle racks, racks of windows and doors, a driveshaft section. My part still happened to be in the vehicle. All in all, I couldn't have gotten off much easier. I was there for about 10 minutes.

Reply to
Kevin Sperle

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Woo Hoo. It's fixed. The factory tint is slightly darker than my aftermarket, but I don't think you'd even notice if you weren't looking for it. And hey, for $33 I'll live with it (as opposed to $200 for a new one). Certainly glad I didn't bite the bullet and pay for a new one.

Thanks again for the additional instructions Bill.

Reply to
Kevin Sperle