1999 Toyota Tacoma V6 versus Prerunner V6

I'm looking at possibly buying a late 90"s Toyota Tacoma V6, or a Prerunner V6. Is there any difference in gas mileage in these 2
trucks with the same 3.0 liter V6 engine with 5 speed manual transmission? I also plan on doing some hauling of around 2,000 to 3,000 pounds and as I have already said would like the best gas mileage possible? Would a 4 cylinder do the job or would I be better off with a V6? Thanks for any and all advice as you can tell I am not real knowledgeable on these trucks. Dana
The PreRunner will come with an automatic transmission unless you get the 4WD version of the truck.
I do not think the 4 and 6 get appreciably different mileage. Yes, the 6 might only give 14 mpg, but the 4 will only give 15. I do not see this as a significant difference, and I'd get the 6 because the benefit of power and torque doesn't cost enough to give me pause.
If you get the 4WD, then you may see a mileage difference that is worth consideration.

As Jeff said, the Prerunner only comes with an automatic tranny, so to get a manual you'll have to consider a 4x4 Tacoma or maybe the smaller 4x2 standard pickup.
Can't speak to the mileage on the 3.0 6cyl as mine ('00 model Prerunner, xtra cab) has the 2.7/ 4-banger. City mileage is between 18-20mpg and highway somewhere around 23-25mpg.
I don't tow nor do I haul much; the occasional load of firewood or seasonal mulch, but I'd think the 4 cylinder wouldn't be up to the kind of weights you're talking about in a practical sense (either manual or automatic).
Others here can probably provide more detailed info on the V6 and hauling capacities.
Stew
Others have written, but I'll just pitch in my 2 cents on the 4-cylinder question:
I've got an 86 Toyota with the 22R 4-cylinder and 5-speed transmission. The truck's title states that it weighted 2200 lbs when shipped from the factory. The way I have my truck outfitted now, it tips the scales at 4500 lbs when empty and I have pulled light trailers with it on occasion.
No, the 4-cylinder will not win any of the 0-60 MPH performance times, but then if I want 0-60 performance I'll get in something else (like my motorcycle).
My 4-cylinder gets 22 - 25 MPG. I can't say how much better it gets in city verses highway, because I never devote myself strictly to one or the other long enough to calculate that.
Here's a pic of my truck:
http://www.joeswelding.biz/photos/P1000650s.JPG
If you want to go faster, obviously get the V6. ~Joe

On Jul 9, 9:26 pm, snipped-for-privacy@huskeraccess.com wrote:

Yes there is. A manual transmission will always get better mileage.

Neither truck will haul that amount of weight in it's bed...so I'll assume you mean "towing". Again, a 4 cylinder will get better mileage given the same transmission of a 6 cylinder. But it depends on how far and what roads you're going to be towing these loads on? eg. steep grades, 50+ miles, 70mph roads...etc. etc.
Answer yes to any of those questions? Get a 6 cylinder, and never mind the gas mileage, as safety trumps gas mileage.
Local towing, fairly level roads, <50 miles, <55mph roads... 4 cylinder will work just fine.
Note: there are 2 different 4 cylinder engines though; regular and HD (heavy duty) versions. The HD produces more horsepower and has some heavier internal engine components meant to move more weight.
studio wrote:

Not on a 2005+ V6 Tacoma.

No? Why not?
studio wrote:

Check the EPA ratings. The auto is rated higher.
It blew my mind the first time I saw it!

That wouldn't surprise me. The EPA just recently had to revise their formula *downward* or most all vehicles ( they show the "old" rating, the "new rating, and then owner's reported mileage.)
In most all cases, the owner miles are at least a bit higher - or at least on the handful of vehicles I've looked at.