Bought an '05 Tacoma - long

Well, I went and bought a 2005 Tacoma. I've been wanting one since I read the first reviews back in April.

I had a 1989 Tacoma that I put 207K miles on, and then sold to a co-worker almost three years ago. He is still driving it daily - so I am a believer in Toyota quality.

Details:

My wife and I hadn't physically seen the 2005 models (they came out late, and we had been busy), so on December 29th we decided to go around to a dealer or two and see what they looked and felt like. The first dealer had none. The second dealer had 5 or 6 on the lot, including one that was exactly what I wanted. It is a V6, 4x4, Access cab, automatic, tow package, SR5 in Silver. We test drove it and couldn't see any reason not to buy it. So we started haggling. (Actually, my wife did the haggling. I'm just an engineer - she's the business major and loves to haggle. I've even seen her hold her own with the Oriental ladies in the Southern California area. That is the major leagues, or at least Triple-A, of haggling.) At any rate, we got it for a significant amount off of the sticker. But we probably wouldn't have if it hadn't been the end of the month and year. (A well known car dealer in Seattle once said in a TV interview that it "doesn't matter how knowledgeable or well prepared the buyer is or how badly they want to buy the vehicle - the ONLY thing that matters is how badly the dealer wants to sell it.") This dealer did have an X-Runner in their showroom, and it's sticker had a "Market Adjustment" markup on it. I don't know how much luck they'll have with that. It was in the 2005 Red - which, in my opinion, is a rather unfortunate color.

Impressions:

It's BIG! In a whole different class than my old 1989 Tacoma - which was also an access cab, but not 4x4. I happened to park it next to a 3 or 4 year old Dodge RAM 1500 extended cab pickup the other day, and was surprised to see that the two pickups are almost exactly the same size - height, width, and length. The Tacoma is now what used to be your standard 1/2 ton pickup.

I've only got 400 miles on it so far, so it's not yet broken in and I won't run it hard until it is - but it seems to have plenty of power. We had test driven 2005 Tundras when they first came out. The Tundra V6 seemed sluggish, and the V8 had more power, and drank more fuel, than I really wanted to pay for.

The cab is roomy - I'm 5'10" and I could wear a cowboy hat in the cab. Those rear half-doors are great. The driving position is excellent, and there's plenty of leg room - at least on the driver's side, not quite so much on the passenger's side. We are going to have running boards installed. It is a long step up into the cab.

It handles well. It does ride like a truck - you feel all the little expansion joints and pavement ripples, but it takes the large bumps like railroad crossings with great aplomb. I expect it will smooth out some as the suspension wears in.

One Problem?

Today we had problems with the built-in alarm. It went off on us several times for reasons we couldn't fathom. It does appear that if you lock the truck with the keyless entry fob, and then unlock the truck with the key - the alarm will go off. I couldn't find anything about this in the Owners Manual. If this is the case, that is one 'feature' we could do without. I'll try some experiments tomorrow (annoying the neighbors), and talk to the dealer on Monday. Or, it could be that this particular truck has a problem?

All in all, we are very happy with the Tacoma - but did I mention that it is BIG?

Tony S.

Reply to
Tony

You should save that one. It's a special edition since the Tacoma came out in

1996

: : I had a 1989 Tacoma that I put 207K miles on, and then sold to a co-worker : almost three years ago. He is still driving it daily - so I am a believer : in Toyota quality.

Reply to
King George is a deserter & a druggie

My 2001 Tundra does the same thing; it has the upgraded security system. It is supposed to work that way.

Check in your glovebox and see if you have any separate documentation on the security system.

Cyberbilly

Cyberbilly

I'm in the same boat now, only I'm trying to buy the Tacoma 4cyl prerunner. You just can't find one. I drove the V6 and 4 cyl, but settled on the 4cyl because of the better gas mileage. Now, I'm trying to get my color and options.

From an engineering point of view, the truck is the best one on the market. However, esthetically, the interior is ugly. I hate that faux "metallic" color. With trucks, black is beautiful.

I gave the dealer a print-out of my required features (If I'm gonna wait I'm gonna get want I want). He said that he would call me every 15 days. That's when dealers get their allotments.

Reply to
Bubba bin Bubba

It's supposed to work that way. For example, if someone jimmied with the lock and managed to open the door without using the key...wouldn't you want the alarm to go off???? The whole point is that the only way someone should be able to enter your truck without the alarm going off is for you to use the remote alarm controller to disable the alarm....and it so happens that it unlocks the door at the same time...but this doesn't imply that simply unlocking the door with the key should set off the alarm..

pn

Reply to
Krystonia5

Of course I meant to say "unlocking the door with the key should disable the alarm", unlocking with the key should set off the alarm.

Reply to
Krystonia5

Glad to hear you're happy with it. I'm seeing more and more on the road here on the East Coast.

Reply to
Bob H

I'm in the same state of looking: I have a '99 4x4 xtracab TRD and am looking at the 'same' thing in an '05 ('access-cab' 4x4 trd, probably

6-speed). one little nugget annoys the hell out of me though.. bed size (length and width) AND ground clearance are all an inch LESS than my current truck! this would be in the 'kinda odd but who cares' category except I haul my motorcycles occasionally and this shrink of the bed is close enough I don't know if my bike's rear tire will still be in the bed or on the bloody tailgate. i also think the width reduction is enough I can't fit both my bikes (one supersport, one naked/streetfighter) in the bed at the same time anymore (yeah, an inch matters THAT much). and the reduced weight load on the tie-down points is another.. 'complication.'

plus side, i love the built-in inverter and a 110v outlet. my bikes reside in storage and i'll be nice to use a power tool if needed. :)

i'm in a box. i liked the looks of colorados/canyons when i saw the first pics but didn't like the fit/finish/build seeing them in person. i want to stick with the toy, have finally gotten past the asthethc changes (STILL not sure if i like the looks) but the items above are just torturing me. on top of it all, i can get corp. discounts on GM vehicles through work. i REALLY prefer the toyota brand but am coming close to skipping it this time... this also would be my third taco; my '95.5 had the engine gasket leak and a pinched crank seal but was otherwise great, my current '99 has been FLAWLESS and my even-earlier '92 4x4 4-banger std-cab was a cool little finish-college truck. i still wish i had that one at times...

*sigh*

-r

Reply to
No Body