2000 4Runner

Hello,

I have a 2000 Toyota 4Runner - automatic transmission, 6 cylinder. I heard that some 4Runners need to have the timing chaing/belt replaced. My car manual does not mention anything about replacing the belt. Does anybody know if this is required on this vehicle?

Thanks in advance.

-Joe.

Reply to
Guicho

It's all about older vehicles like my dumb-ass 1994 (or maybe I'm the d.a. for buying it); you've got a chain not a belt.

dennis in nca

Reply to
rigger

Thanks for the feedback, Dennis. I won't worry about it, then.

Joe.

It's all about older vehicles like my dumb-ass 1994 (or maybe I'm the d.a. for buying it); you've got a chain not a belt.

dennis in nca

Reply to
Joe

The owner's manual usually lists when to replace the timing chain: around 40,000 miles if I recall correctly. I went twice that before the timing belt in my 1992 Pickup broke.

Reply to
Desertphile

Desertphile wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Timing belts and timing chains are different beasts that do the same job. Belts are short lived, a common replacement schedule is 40k miles. Chains have a much longer life, up to and including the life of the engine. The other important consideration is whether your particular engine is an interference engine or not. In an interference engine, the valves and the pistons occupy the same space but at different times. If the belt or chain breaks, the valves stop moving but the pistons don't. One or several valves will interact with their pistons, breaking both and shooting lots of small pieces into places you would rather not have them. Most, but I do not believe all, Toyota engines are non interference, at least in the 4 cylinders. I've never seen the need for a 6 so I have no real knowledge of them.

Reply to
Charly Coughran

V6 3VZE is a belt

JC

Reply to
Archon

I believe the 2000 has a 5VZFE which is also a belt, replacement is usually 60k miles. JC

Reply to
Archon

Maintenance schedules are available on Toyota's web site, though the year-2000 document is corrupted. The 2001 schedule says 90,000 mi. That generation of 4Runners lasted until 2002, so the document applies to your vehicle.

And yes the 5VZ-FE has a timing belt. The service manual pages are here. It's lengthy and requires special service tools (SST). Not recommended for most DIY'ers.

First of One

I did a little more research and here is what I found:

Maintenance manual for 2000 4Runner:

90,000 Miles or 72 Months

. Replace non-platinum spark plugs (Tacoma, Tundra, 4Runner)2

. Replace timing belt (except 4-cyl. Tacoma and 4Runner)

The last line says replace timing belt except 4Runner so I guess I don't have to worry about this for my 6 cylinder engine... Thanks for the feedback everyone..

Reply to
Joe

Actually, I might be reading the maintenance instructions incorrectly.... . Replace timing belt (except 4-cyl. Tacoma and 4Runner

The above line might mean that 4 cylinder 4Runners should be excluded as opposed to all 4Runnes.

Reply to
Joe

The latter interpretation is correct. 4 cyl engines in Tacoma and

4Runner are exempt.
Reply to
clare

war is diplomacy by the stupid.

Reply to
someone

roo bad no one does what ducati did on many of their engines. they used gears on timing and valves. their 450cc thumper is incredibly tough. they're bike engines but it's just a matter of scale.

Reply to
someone

Bevel gear drive OHC, a-la Riley

Reply to
clare

you wins da cigar, boss. the tower on the jug side looks like a greek column. the 450 racer motor put out almost 60hp. we plugged one into a street frame and it was a riot in the city. all the rice rocket boys cried when we wiped them out at stoplights. we put 250cc stickers on it to really screw with them. i think we still have the bike. might be fun to pull it out of the pile.

Reply to
someone

Was it a Desmo, too???

Reply to