2003 V6 4Runner towing

Need advise on possibility of using this model for towing a loaded U-Haul trailer through the Rocky Mountain area. It has the Standard factory hitch setup (5000LB capacity) but not the optional towing package. I Have not done this before so I can use help on the basic info, such as buying the right ball and all that. Have any of you done this with this model? I hope Consumer Report magazine doesn't find out I'm using this "unreliable V6 engine" to pull a trailer. Thanks.

Reply to
Randy Carnot

The 2003 V6 4 Runner is not rated to haul 5,000 lbs., especially without the trailer towing package and especially up, over and down the Rocky Mountains. You need the V-8 and the trailer towing package for that kind of towing.

How much will the U-haul trailer and what's loaded in it/on it weigh?

Sandy

Reply to
Sandyon66XYZ

Huh, my owners manual (and the product sales literature) says V6 is rated at

5000lbs towing with factory hitch and if V8 then 7300lbs for 2WD and 7000lbs for 4WD. Believe the towing package std on all US 03-04 4Rnrs? (It is option on the Highlander models). I did not see one on local lots without it. It even has the take off plug for electric brakes if the trailer is so equipt.
Reply to
Wolfgang

Sorry, my recollection was wrong. You are right about the above capacities (assuming that the 2003 V6 towing capacity is the same as the 2004 V6)

We still need to know: How much will the U-haul trailer and what's loaded in it/on it weigh?

If he's close to a weight of 5,000 lbs. for the trailer and its load, is the V6 going to be adequate going up, over and down the Rockies?

Sandy

Reply to
Sandyon66XYZ

Every time I rent a trailer from U-Haul they ask me the same questions, "How much are you towing and what are you towing with?" I guess it's to cover their Arses. I usually rent the flatbed car hauler.

Reply to
Joseph Wind