Can towing package be added to '99 4Runner?

Hello,

I'm looking at a '99 SR5 4WD 4Runner without a towing hitch. What does the factory or dealer installed towing package consist of? At edmunds.com I see a "camper/towing package" listed as an option only for the Limited. Can it be added to the SR5, and if so what is involved and how much would it cost? What is a good brand of hitch to add?

Also, I just read the following in the "Highlights" section at

"All 4x4s except the Limited used a part-time 4WDemand system. Only Limiteds got Toyota's electronic One-Touch Hi-4 system, with a handy button on the transfer-case lever to shift between 2WD and 4WD High range."

What's the difference between the 4WD system on the '99 SR5 and Limited versions? How does the SR5 shift into 4WD on the fly?

Thanks, Chris

Reply to
Chris

Depending on model and year - factory tow packages include the hitch and bar but never the ball (suspect due to different sizes available), usually they include an automatic transmission oil cooler and sometimes a heavier duty radiator, larger fan or different fan clutch --- some even a larger battery or larger alternator. What you need depends on weight of towed trailer, terrain to be covered, and length of trips. I'd go with Reese, U-haul , Hitch-tite or other aftermarket hitch to save $. Even the ones from JC Whitney fit into the existing factory holes in the frame. You will also need a wiring converter ($40-60). I'd look at AT cooler if you're towing other than short distances and make sure your radiator and belts are up to par.

Wolfgang

I have a '99 SR5, not a limited, with factory Class ll tow hitch receiver and wiring. I don't think they came with a AT cooler as an option and I don't think the 4Runner needs it. I tow a 3500# boat and trailer with no heat problems. The radiator holds 9.5 Quarts and it takes 5.5 qts of engine oil. Not sure about the transmission but cooling seems to be adequate.

I have the automatic with the shift stick and the manual says I can shift into 4WD-High at 25 or below and back into 2WD at any speed. I must stop and shift to nuetral for 4W-Low. From my understanding, the models with the button on the side of the shift lever are automatics with a locking differential when the button is enganged.

Reply to
David Krump