2004 Tundra Front End Noise (Was Re: Is anybody out there?)

Okay, I'll post one....been meaning to do it anyway

2004 Tundra Access Cab; V8; 4wd; ~41K miles

Lately, I've been noticing a strange "growl" noise and steering wheel shudder that seems to be coming from the front end.....never made it before. It only lasts for a second or two, and mainly when I'm turning hard right or hard left, particularly first thing in the morning, backing out of the driveway. It sounds and feels exactly like it would if it was in 4WD and turning on dry pavement (yeah, I know....don't DO that in 4WD !). I've checked, every time it happens, and the system seems to be in 2WD (no lights or anything). I've put it into 4WD and the proper lights come on, so the bulb isn't burned out or anything.

Had it in for the 40K service, and the advisor who pulled it into the garage said "Yeah, I noticed that, too....felt like it was 4WD !". Of course, he said they checked it and found nothing wrong....yeah, right...

Anyway, any ideas what might cause this ? Low diff fluid ? Bad shifter circuit or something ?

Suggestions welcomed !

Dean....

Jeff wrote:

> Is it just me, or hasn't there been any posts for a few days? I'm > information starved.
Reply to
D Larsen