99 Intrepid front end noise

My '99 Intrepid seems to have excessive front end noise. Not a clunking sound but rather a low growl that resembles the sound of the tires when on a rough pavement surface. It's more than just the noise of the the tires on the pavement. I hear it especially at slow speeds where the wind has no effect. I thought it may be wheel bearings but I blocked the front end of the car up and everything seems to be tight in regards to front wheel bearings. I put the tranny in Drive and brought the wheels up to about 100 km/hr and there is a noticable low growl coming from somewhere in the drive train. If I have the wheels going at 100 km/hr, put it in Neutral and quickly jump out of the car to see if I can distinguish where the noise is coming from, the wheel stops turning before I can get to it!! This seems like an excessive amount of rolling resistance????? This leads me to believe that somewhere there is a bearing that isn't in good shape. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Reply to
Randy

Sounds like a brake pad is dragging. That sound could go away at higher speed and be most noticable at low speed (like going down your driveway) At high speed it could cause a bit a of pull to that side or a pulsing sound when the brakes are applied lightly.

Easy to check, and fix.

Reply to
mkfdar

I haven't yet checked to see if a dragging brake is the problem, but how would I fix it if that is the case?

Reply to
Randy

Does the noise when driving sound sort of like crickets chirping in the night? Do you hear it mainly from around 10 mph to maybe 25-30 mph when road/air noise drowns it out?

Reply to
Greg Houston

No, it actually sounds like the noise created when driving on a "pebble" pavement surface. The sound is present from as soon as the car starts rolling until the wind noise drowns it out.

Reply to
Randy

Pull the wheel where the noise is most noticeable. Rotate the wheel while its up in the air and you should be able to tell immediately if the brakes are making the noise.Look at the brake rotor and pads to see if the wear looks clean and smooth or if there are nasty gouges and uneven wear. I had a pebble from my driveway get lodged in the brake pad/rotor area once and wow what a noise that made! If the brake pad/rotor seems bad, remember to replace both the wheels (left and right) when you do them. and get the rotor cut - its worth it to do the job right.

Reply to
mkfdar

I know you said you checked wheel bearings with the wheels off the ground. *BUT* it might surprise you to know that *very* often a bad bearing will not have any play whatsoever and will exhibit obvious symptoms (i.e., make noise detectable by the un-aided ear) *only* when loaded.

What you describe certainly sounds like a bad wheel bearing. I would especially say that if, when you weave the car back and forth on the road at speed when it makes the noise, the noise turns off or gets quieter (or louder) when turning one direction and not the other. Other people here will recommend using a mechanic's stethoscope to listen to the spinning wheel with the car jacked up (you would hear it with that but not without it) - either method should prove or disprove a bearing problem with good certainty.

Bill Putney

When I had the wheels off the ground, I actually compressed the brake cylinder to make sure the brakes weren't dragging. Still had the noise, though it wasn't as noticable with the weight off the wheels. Bill, I tried your suggestion of seeing if the noise gets worse or goes away on corners, etc. There is no difference. It seems that I may as well go and start ripping the hubs apart and look into it to see if the bearings have just lost there surfaces. What do you think? I see that the axle nut has to be replaced if it is removed. Is this necessary?

Reply to
Randy

Hi Randy...

The wheels won't stop turning before you get there if it's one of your friends stepping on the gas for you :)

Take care.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Weitzel

Hmmm - you might try the stethoscope test - may still be bearings since the noise was still there but less with the weight off. You realize that to disassemble the hubs to look at the beraing surfaces, you will need new hub/bearing assemblies (you might be able to buy the bearing and pres it in, but not worht the trouble). I think if I were you I would go ahead and replace whichever hub/bearing assembly appears to be making the noise at this point.

Replacing the axle nut is just a liability lawyer's boilerplate in the manuals. However, I had one that wouldn't stay tightened after I had had the axle out, so I keep new stub nuts on my shelf to use on mine. They are interference nuts, and obviously one that's been on and off a couple of times isn't going to stay tight like a new one.

Bill Putney