Front End shudder

1997 Jeep Cherokee Sport (purchased used) with 97k on it.

I get a front end shudder -most of the time but not always-. When it happens it's right at 70mph and it stays for as far up as I dare push it (say 85mph). note I don't say shimmy... the motion is front to rear or more "up and down" feeling, not the infamous "death wobble". Severely annoying but does not affect handling.

So here's what I've done...

-New Tires (needed them anyway) balanced, etc.

-New U-joints rear (this helped a little but not much)

-Wheel alignment (done twice to see. No change at all)

-New steering damper (needed, made no difference at all)

-Steering box brace (tightened steering up amazingly, but no difference with the shudder).

-Pulled off front drive shaft and drove around without it.... Woah, shudder seems to be gone. Now I feel like an idiot 'cause if the rear U-Joints were shot it only stands to reason that the fronts might be too.

now I'm just hoping that it didn't eat up the pilot bearing or some other thing.

Drifter "I've been here, I've been there..."

Reply to
Drifter

If the u-joints on the front shaft are okay and you still get the vibe, check the balance on the shaft. Sometimes they can throw a weight.

Steve

Drifter wrote:

Reply to
Steve

Good thinking, thanks. Drifter "I've been here, I've been there..."

Reply to
Drifter

Just a quick follow up. Got all of the u-joints on the front driveshaft replaced (with zerg fittings this time) and now the Cherokee does highway speeds smooth as silk. Well maybe not quite that smooth but then again it IS a Cherokee .

Drifter "I've been here, I've been there..."

Reply to
Drifter

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III