2005 plastic beds & tailgates

I've had pick up trucks all my life, different makes, models, a ford, a mazda, international harvester scout, two tacomas and a tundra, and now this 2005 tacoma. I have found that toyotas are the best running trucks on the market. Toyota is always trying to make trucks better and cheaper. Although I love the way my new tacoma rides and feels, I AM NOT A FAN OF THIS NEW BED AND TAILGATE At 6 days old I had a load slide back into the tailgate and bent the tailgate outward. It bowed outward about an inch, so much so that the tailgate wouldn't open. I begged toyota to cover it under warrentee (with a platinum warrentee)and they wouldnt hear of it, they only said thats the way they're made now. They are plastic on the inside, (not plastic covered)and thin sheet metal on the outside. So where did Toyota think the strength was comming from Bear in mind the load was about half the rated limit. Toyota wanted $1000.00 for a tacoma tailgate. This is a cheezy tailgate at best and possibly a dangerous one. With a little more force this tailgate would have let go spilling a load all over the road and possibly causing an accident and maybe death. This tailgate needs to be investigated, and tested by an independant outfit, like the EPA or insurance institute. This tailgate is dangerous. As for the plastic bed, they should go back to steel, I dont like it at all. Its very slippery. Everything slides all over the place, and with a weak tailgate, well it a bad situation. Mine is two weeks old and its badly scratched. Wondering if I could put a rhino liner or somthing on this pathetic thing.

Reply to
franknlizob

I'm 250 pounds and have stood on the center of my lowered gate with no problems. I've also had ramps on the edge of the gate and rolled a

500 pound, 15 HP wide cut walk-behind mower up into the bed. How heavy was the object that hit it and how hard did it hit?

A $65 rubber bed mat gives you the best of both worlds. It keeps items in place, and can be tossed over light loads to keep them in the bed. The mat can also be removed for easy unloading of dirt, gravel, etc... My last few trucks have all been mat equipped, because the steel bed would scratch and rust.

Earlier this summer, during a panic maneuver, I had a rented 350 pound floor sander do a barrel roll into the right side of my bed. It make a nickel sized dent with a very small tear at the edge. A thimbleful of epoxy would easily repair the damage. The pro-grade sander was damaged to the point of being unusable, the bottom plate sheared (3) grade 8 bolts in the impact. The thought of what that sander would have done to any of the steel beds I've had makes me shudder. Now, think of the collateral damage of rust for the entire time after the damage!

The plastic bed can also be drilled for custom tie downs and accessory mounting with confidence that rust won't take over a few years down the road.

Sorry to hear of your problem, but count me in the "for" camp regarding the plastic bed.

Reply to
Bonehenge

At least with a steel bed you could add a rhino liner and end up with "A True" best of both worlds. The strength of steel, and the slip and rust resistance of polyurathane. A plastic bed, a cheezy tailgate, and a rubber mat is not my idea of the best of both worlds. Should have kept my Tundra. An eight foot steel bed and a bullet proof Rhino liner.

Reply to
franknlizob

What hit and bent your tailgate?

Reply to
B a r r y

Barry, I was carrying piano hinges for work, which were in cardboard boxes, which slid back and forth. I drove slowly and carefully I was astonished when I saw the damage. And this from someone who has carried thousand of loads in many different pick ups over the last 30 years, and never had anything like this. I'm well aware of what pick ups can and cannot handle. This load was about 400- 500 lbs. well below the rated limit. The back of the truck was not down or anything like that, a light to medium load. Those tailgates come off Ive taken mine off, it weighs about 12 pounds, its rediculous.

Reply to
franknlizob