2005 Tundra SR5 V-8 with gear drop on downhill bump

I just bought a previously-owned Tundra V-8 (auto transm) over Thanksgiving week, with about 50,000 miles. I'm new to full-size pickups and new to Tundra. I'm noticing something about the automatic shifting that is concerning me some--but don't know if I'm overreacting here. Before the powertrain warranty expires, I'd like to run this symptom by the group and see if there is potentially a mechanical problem:

There is a long stretch of road (1/4 mile) coming into my neighborhood that is slight downhill, I'd say 15% slope. Half way down, there is a manhole area and the road dips some there. When I get to that spot, I'm just cruising, - doing about 40 mph. I notice that the dip, causes the tranny to downshift --every time--I think I'm going from 2 to one. Maybe 3 to 1- so when I resume the gas, the thing is in too low a gear, so the engine revs up to 3-4 K rpms for a while, before upshifting to the right gear. I've learned to avoid that spot and go around it. But is this some kind of slipping problem-- which may worsen ? I know the tranny case is sealed so I haven't been able to check the fluid. Thanks in advance for any experience or feedback with this.

Reply to
brad

I'm leasing a 2005 Tundra and have had it for almost 2 years now. Mine does the same thing. I leave overdrive on always, what's happening is it's going out of overdrive as you're coasting. At least that's my guess, mine's done it on the same kind of slope since I bought it. Dave

Reply to
nospam

Same for my '06 Tundra. I notice it happens mostly when going downhill after tapping the brakes, the tranny downshifts to provide some engine braking. I assume this is normal.

Reply to
Mike W

I really appreciate above responses- Helps to settle what is happening. I guess it's just part of the trans behavior. Thanks.

Reply to
brad

It's difficult to diagnose these sorts of things via usenet.

If I may offer a suggestion?

Take it to the dealer anyway, while it's still under warranty, and ask them to fix the problem. Even if they tell you everything is normal, save all of the paperwork.

Warranty laws vary from state to state, but generally if you've brought a problem to the attention of the manufacturer (through its dealer representative) while the vehicle is under warranty, and they do not fix it - then in the event of future failure becase of that problem, they are obligated to do the repair under warranty even if the warranty period on that component has expired.

In short - if the behavior is *not* normal, and the bottom drops out of the transmission six months after the warranty expires - the dealer visit just may CYA.

Reply to
Mike Harris

If you have not already done so I suggest you take a look at the Owner's Manual for your pickup.

Are you by chance tapping the brakes before you get to the dip in the road? If so, the downshift of the transmission may be normal. It is for the Toyota 4Runner, see the link below.

Charlie R.