2007 Tundra

I feel like a kid on Christmas eve........

Bob Bitch'n

If you're going to buy one and can't stand to wait until the second year, give the supply chain a few months to work out the bugs.

Early '05 Tacomas had a few issues:

Cowl water leaks (wet carpets) - fixed REALLY fast, maybe in the first month of production Noisy rear springs (clinking / slapping sound over low to medium speed bumps) - about the first 5 months trucks had it Bad cab mounts (rattle / knocking around base of cab) - about the first 6 months production

My '05, made in month 4 of NUMMI production, was post-water leak, but got nailed with the noisy springs and bad cab mounts. The dealer replaced the rear springs and cab mounts without hassle, but both repairs were major jobs. The cab mounts took several trips to get resolved, as they tightened things, removed the Access Cab rear seats and boxes, drove around with "chassis ears" installed, etc... Understandably, everything more minor had to be eliminated before they changed the cab mounts.

The spring issue was interesting to follow the changes, as you could visibly see the differences on dealer lot stock. Once they identified the issue, a rubber leaf pad was added (which would probably wear out) and a few months later, the bottom leaf was reshaped to completely eliminate the slapping noise.

Toyota is excellent at making running factory changes. All of the Tacoma issues, changes, and fixes are right out there on techinfo.toyota.com, complete with affected serial numbers, plants, and dates. They supported me perfectly with the problems, but you might as well let them find any problems with others. On the other hand, my 1999 Jeep Wrangler had the same rear brake cylinder fluid leak problem as my '89!

Reply to
B a r r y

"Toyota will not initially offer diesel or medium-duty Tundra models." (from the link above.)

I'd like to see a one-ton model and 6 litre diesel engine...that would put a twist in the shorts of GM, Ford, & DaimlerChrysler execs.

I agree about waiting for bugs to get worked out. Pioneers get arrows in their backs.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Shelton