Transmission Cooler for 03 Tundra

I'm dismayed by my recent discovery that my 2003 Tundra 4x2 SR5 Access Cab lacks a transmission cooler. I don't want to burn up the transmission prematurely when hauling heavy loads, so I need your help.

Q1) Anyone have a part # for a Toyota transmission cooler to install on my '03 Tundra?

Q2) I'm a novice mechanic, so is this something best left to the professionals?

Thanks in advance.

Chuck

Reply to
Charles Shea

I found out (in time) that it comes standard only when you buy the towing package. I bought mine with for that reason. There are aftermarket kits that work well and can be installed by a shade tree mechanic fairly easily. I'd check with Toyota parts counter first, because might fit better.

Reply to
Glenn

Your truck has a transmission cooler in the radiator. 2003 Towing Package, and all 2000-2002 trucks, also have an air-cooled cooler. You can get the cooler from any Toyota parts counter, it'll be an easy fit, but it costs a lot. You can also get an aftermarket cooler from any transmission shop, RV shop, hotrod shop, or mail order. You'll have to invent a mount, but it's not an impossible job. Be sure to use a good quality hydraulic hose. Fuel line hose may not handle the heat and eventually fail.

I prefer the flat-plate type coolers made by Dana's Long Tru-Cool and sold under the Long, B&M, Tekonsha, and other brand names. Summitracing.com has these kits for about $50. If you get one, come back here for installation tips.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Shelton