4-High versus 4-Low

I have a 2003 Tacoma 4x4 manual, 4cyl. I like to do some light-moderate off-roading. I find I have to use 4-low often to get over inclines, even inclines low in height. I use 4-low often actually. I use to drive 4x4's the parents had when I was younger, S-10's/Blazers/Cherokees. Dad nor I rarely used 4-low. Granted these were V6 vehicles.

So my question is..is my use of 4-low normal? I also upgraded the tire size from 28.3 to 30.6. The tire sticker inside the door shows the tire size I have on it now with its recommended pressure etc., so I assume its ok. Tire size P265 70R 16.

Cheers

Reply to
Brad

I believe the 4 cyl has the axle gearing at 3.91 from the factory. Since you swapped to a 2" taller tire your engine is not turning as fast at the same ground speed as before. Most people have their gearing changed if they really get into off roading. You may want to go to

and join their forum. Great site, you can get allot of great info about Tacoma there.

Reply to
Taco

All 2003 Taco's from what have seen and read have a 3.91 gear ratio. The US web site says all Taco's come standard with 28.3 inch tires with optional

30.6, and all have 3.91 ratios (except for V6 auto and select other (4x2's))

I will check out that site though...thanks

Cheers

Reply to
Brad