4Runner loose steering

My 90 4Runner is feeling a bit loose in the steering than it used to. Sometimes after a turn, it feels like the truck wants to keep turning. The tierods seem ok, are there any tests to follow to check for a defective steering box or loose suspension parts?

Reply to
Insp. Gadget

Have someone turn the steering wheel back and forth (just to the point of moving the wheels) while you poke around underneath and observe the linkage moving. Where it stops moving will be where the play is. Likely culprit is worn bushings in the idler arm on the passenger side. May also be worthwile lifting the front end in the air and try grabbing the tires at 6-12 and 3-9 o'clock positions, if there is play in either axis, you sould also be able to determine what is moving (that shouldn't be).

Reply to
Roger Brown

Things seem to be moving as expected from what I can see. I've heaved on the passenger side wheel and on the idler. There seems to be very little play. This truck used to track like it was on rails.

Reply to
Insp. Gadget