Steering Wheel Wobble

I have a 98 GMC Suburban, bought it last Summer. I have noticed a "wobble" in my steering wheel at speeds up to 45mph. I did not notice the wobble in the warmer months (Live in Colorado). Currently has

54,000 on it. I have read multiple posts about bad steering sensors. I do have the symptoms regarding the sensor being bad and probably needs replaced, but would this affect the steering in a manner to cause a "wobble"? Seems I've read everything from bad tires, balancing tires, or a bad steering sensor. This group was a great help when I needed help fixing my circuit board for my wipers. Clueless on the steering wheel issue. Thanks

-Scott

Reply to
cochran7

Scott,

You don't have a steering sensor. A wobble can be caused by a bajillion things. I'd check tire pressures first, if they are ok take her in for a balance and alignment check. If there is something amiss with the front end, the alignment shop will find it.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

The first easiest cheapest thing to try is to rotate the tires. You don't state wither the tires are new or old, or when the last time they were rotated and balanced. Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

Doc & White Lightning:Thank You for the replies. Good to know I don't need to worry about the steering sensor. Although Fuse 21 on the interior fuse block says "Steering/Security"?? The tires have good tread remaining, no cupping or uneven wear and I rotated them a month after I bought it. Would a dealer be the best alignment choice? I know they would charge more. Thanks again, I don't wanna beat this thread to death & cause any grief. You guys are the best, I feel better at least.

Reply to
cochran7

This falls back on developing a relationship with a garage. Is the dealer better or worse, that depends on the person doing the work. Meaning independent or dealership has nothing to do with the quality of the work. I have found that a good tire shop usually does a better job in that its awfully hard for them to say "the tires wore prematurely because you didn't maintain them and your front end" when all your receipts for the work have their logo on them. But then finding a good tire shop again falls under the heading of developing a relationship with a garage. Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

I goofed bud, variable effort steering started earlier than I remembered, so you may or may not have it. I dunno if it was standard equipment then or not. Better have a look-see and see if you have it or not. The steering wheel position sensor is located toward the base of the steering column, right where the upper and lower steering shafts connect.

Regardless, the problems associated with the wheel position sensor don't include wheel wobble from what I've read; they involve inappropriate steering effort levels based on speed (too easy or too hard to turn wheel at given speed, or a cycling between steering efforts whilst driving). For example if the hydraulic assist is too high at highway speeds this would make the wheel feel "loose" and the vehicle might feel like it's "floating." This is mentioned in TSB #86-32-06 (I've pasted it below).

HTH, sorry for the initial mis-information! I'd still suspect tire/alignment in your situation before I suspected the PS.

Doc

REDUCED STEERING EFFORT (DIAGNOSE/REPLACE STEERING #86-32-06 - (Sep 23,

1998) SUBJECT: REDUCED STEERING EFFORT (DIAGNOSE/REPLACE STEERING WHEEL SPEED SENSOR AND BEARING ASSEMBLY)

MODELS: 1997-98 CHEVROLET AND GMC C/K, M/L AND G-VAN WITH EVO (ELECTRONIC VARIABLE ORIFICE)

CONDITION:

SOME OWNERS MAY COMMENT ABOUT REDUCED STEERING EFFORT WHILE DRIVING. THIS REDUCED STEERING EFFORT MAY CHANGE BACK TO THE ORIGINAL EFFORT INTERMITTENTLY DURING DRIVING OR REMAIN UNTIL THE NEXT KEY OFF-ON CYCLE. THESE SLIGHT CHANGES IN STEERING EFFORT DO NOT AFFECT THE CONTROL OF THE VEHICLE, BUT MAY ALERT THE DRIVER THAT THE SYSTEM IS NOT OPERATING AS INTENDED.

CAUSE:

THE CONDITION MAY BE CAUSED BY HIGH ELECTRICAL RESISTANCE IN THE STEERING WHEEL SPEED SENSOR. THE HIGH ELECTRICAL RESISTANCE IS A RESULT OF INADEQUATE CONTACT PRESSURE OF THE ELECTRICAL CONTACTOR IN THE SENSOR.

CORRECTION:

FOLLOW STEPS 1, 2, AND 3 OF THE STRATEGY BASED DIAGNOSTICS FOR THE CONDITION. REFER TO SECTION 2B5 OF THE SERVICE MANUAL, DIAGNOSTIC SYSTEM CHECK. VERIFY THAT THERE ARE NO STORED DTC'S. THE CONDITIONS STATED ABOVE TYPICALLY WILL NOT SET A DTC. IF NO DTC IS FOUND, DO THE FOLLOWING DIAGNOSIS:

  1. DISCONNECT THE 3 WIRE CONNECTOR FROM THE STEERING WHEEL SPEED SENSOR.

  1. WITH THE KEY IN THE OFF POSITION, USE A DIGITAL MULTIMETER (DMM) TO TEST FOR RESISTANCE BETWEEN CKT 1057 (ORN/BLK) AND CKT 1059 (LT BLU).

  2. ROTATE THE STEERING WHEEL SLOWLY FROM LOCK TO LOCK.

  1. RECORD THE HIGHEST READING. IF THE READING IS ABOVE 12K OHMS, REPLACE THE STEERING WHEEL SPEED SENSOR AND BEARING ASSEMBLY. IF THE READING IS BELOW

12K OHMS, THE STEERING WHEEL SPEED SENSOR IS OPERATING AS DESIGNED.

PARTS INFORMATION:

P/N DESCRIPTION QTY --- ----------- ---

26076106 SENSOR KIT,STRG WHL SPD (W/BRG) 1 (C/K, M/L) 26076113 SENSOR KIT,STRG WHL SPD (W/BRG) 1 (G VAN)

PARTS ARE CURRENTLY AVAILABLE FROM GMSPO.

WARRANTY INFORMATION:

FOR VEHICLES REPAIRED UNDER WARRANTY, USE:

LABOR OPERATION DESCRIPTION LABOR TIME --------- ----------- ----------

E7690 SENSOR, STEERING WHEEL USE PUBLISHED LABOR ROTATION (EVO)-REPLACE OPERATION TIME

FIGURES: 00 ATTACHMENTS: 00

GENERAL MOTORS BULLETINS ARE INTENDED FOR USE BY PROFESSIONAL TECHNICIANS, NOT A "DO-IT-YOURSELFER". THEY ARE WRITTEN TO INFORM THOSE TECHNICIANS OF CONDITIONS THAT MAY OCCUR ON SOME VEHICLES, OR TO PROVIDE INFORMATION THAT COULD ASSIST IN THE PROPER SERVICE OF A VEHICLE. PROPERLY TRAINED TECHNICIANS HAVE THE EQUIPMENT, TOOLS, SAFETY INSTRUCTIONS AND KNOW-HOW TO DO A JOB PROPERLY AND SAFELY. IF A CONDITION IS DESCRIBED, DO NOT ASSUME THAT THE BULLETIN APPLIES TO YOUR VEHICLE, OR THAT YOUR VEHICLE WILL HAVE THAT CONDITION. SEE A GENERAL MOTORS DEALER SERVICING YOUR BRAND OF GENERAL MOTORS VEHICLE FOR INFORMATION ON WHETHER YOUR VEHICLE MAY BENEFIT FROM THE INFORMATION.

COPYRIGHT 1998 GENERAL MOTORS CORPORATION. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

Reply to
"Doc"

A problem with the EVO sensor on this year of truck won't cause what you are describing. Usually, a defective EVO sensor will cause the steering to feel "loose" when turning a corner....it feels like it's over assisting (which is in fact exactly what it's doing).

You probably have a tire issue, or some worn front end parts.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Just curious, that since the truck seemed fine till the weater got cold, maybe he is feeling what I always feel once it gets cold here.....after my truck has sat for any length of time in the cold, for the first few miles or so, I will feel a small "wiggle" in the steering wheel, until the tires are good and warm. I have always attributed this to the tires taking a set from just sitting, and going away once they've warmed up. May just be a normal tire thing, and not an indication of a parts failure. This has happened with the original OEM tires and the Goodyears that replaced them. Just a thought, Ed

Reply to
Ed White

Yes, you could be right, Ed.

Ian