S80 "loose" steering

I have a 2001 S80 T6 with about 80,000 miles. After having it in to the dealer for some transmission work the steering seems to have a lot of play in it while driving. Driving down a straight road with no wind the steering wheel will sometimes be cocked to the left a bit and then sometimes to the right. None of this was like this before the tranny work. I have put the car up on blocks; with the engine off there is no slop at all in the linkage. Also turning the steering wheel with the engine off gets instant turn of the wheels. My question: Does the S80 have speed sensitive steering that may have been lost in the software update for the transmission or some kind of electrical pick-up that may have been left off?

The dealer says nothing they did would have caused it.

Thanks for your help

Allen

Reply to
Allen

Allen...I have a 00 s80 / 144,000 miles...I do not believe the s80's had speed sens. or variable steering feature...It does sound as if something is not right on yours...If you are not satisified that the car drives the same or better than when you took it in for service, you are probabally right...I would take the s80 to a "front end" or tire shop and see if someone "starting out fresh" cas see or feel anything obvious...My s80 drives "tight" w/no slop in the steering whatsoever...good luck !!

Reply to
~^ beancounter ~^

Allen...also...you might try the "s80 chat room" over on

a few folks know the "classic s80's" well, over there...

Reply to
~^ beancounter ~^

Thank you for that, I will ask there also!

Reply to
Allen

air in the system? Mine was like this, and I had to let it work itself out. This happened while the car was on the hoist and the wheels were turned by moving the wheel (to give steering angle).

Reply to
M.R.S.

I hadn't thought of that, it was on a hoist. The fluid level is normal. I'll check it out.

Thanks

Reply to
Allen