4Runner rear bumper - wussy?

Does anyone else think the rear bumpers on 4Runners are a little lame. Mine got mangled after barely stressing it. Looking at the way it's mounted I'm not surprized.

Has anyone done some mods to make their bumpers a little tougher?

R.

I don't have a 4Runner myself, but rear bumpers are a purely decorative item required by US Laws - Since there are no real bumper strength standards anymore, only a requirement to have one, they only need to put one on that looks nice...

If the manufacturers want to spend the money to put a real bumper there they have to figure it into the base price of the car - and it will make their car more expensive than the competition. Most automakers choose the cheap route, and use cosmetic bumpers.

The best solution is to drop the stock bumper and get a specialty item like a hitch bumper (which has to be built a little stronger to handle the trailer loads) or a tube bumper.

Or better yet, if you have the bucks go get a bumper custom fabricated to your liking, and made stout enough to actually take the brunt of a small collision without folding and allowing the bodywork to get munched too badly.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman