4runner rear suspension recall

I recently bought a 98 4runner and while searching online for various

4runner sites I found out there was a recall on the rear springs. I called the toyota hotline and they said that the work had not been done to my vehicle so I took it to a local toyota dealer today to have them swap out the existing springs for the new ones. The problem now is that the back of the vehicle sits lower than the front by 1" (measured between the top of the tire and the fender). The service guy told me that there had been a lift (I had no idea) put on the vehicle but assured me that the springs were the original factory springs. I asked if he was positive and he said yes - Now I don't think I believe him. I also asked if I could get the old springs and he made some comment about having to send them back to toyota. I guess my question is did the originals have any stamps on them that would indicate they were toyota springs?? I am wondering now if the reason the previous owned didn't have this work done is because he swapped out the original springs with larger ones when the lift was installed. Are bigger springs typically part of a lift?? I will be calling them back on Monday so that I can at least look at them but wanted to see if I could get some of my questions answered here too. Also the vehicle came with 15" wheels and now has 16".

Thanks for any input you might have, Tim

Reply to
tlf

Relax, you did get original replacement springs. The ride height wont change, exception would be if you had different springs in the first place, ie Rancho etc. I ran across a similar deal, 4Runner had aftermarket springs. I just left them in place, gave the customers the new springs, installed the different bumpers and told him to discard his originals, the new ones will replace them. The recall was to get rif of the origonal springs, that was done when they put in the aftermerket units. 4Runners always sat lower in the rear by a smidge. Are you sure or just "tuned" to this area because you had some work done?

Reply to
MDT Tech®

I think I mine is the exception - found out it has a revtek lift. I believe the original springs were replaced with the aftermarket lift. I am not noticing it just now because it had the work done, in fact that was one of the reasons why I took it in, to ensure the springs were replaced before it started to sag - now it clearly does - very apparent. My only problem is I didn't do enough research on it before taking it in.

Thanks for the insight -

-Tim

Reply to
tlf

Tim, yes, they should of just left it, the springs in question were already removed, so the recall should of been null and void in that case. I did run into one of those once, and didnt install the new springs either. I did install the rubber snubber for the rear axle which is part of the recall. Do they have your old springs still?

Reply to
MDT Tech®

I talked to the service manager earlier today and he was going to check with the parts manager who he said would know for sure if the springs were oem or aftermarket. Didn't get a chance to call him back to see what he found - will do it tomorrow. He was much more helpful than the guy who was there on saturday so I am confident this will get resolved.

-Tim

Reply to
tlf

Went in today to get my original springs put back on, after 45 minutes the guy helping me said that they had misplaced my springs but that the vehicle was definately lower in the rear by 2". They called around and ended up finding a shop that sells an aftermarket spring that will bring it back level with the front. I was very pleased with the response as they are going to pick up the bill for the new springs and make it right. I can't complain about that. should get them in a week or so...

Reply to
tlf

I had the same problem with my 97 4 runner. what i did was install a set of airlift bags with the onboard compressor and it worked out really well.

Good Luck Walldog

Reply to
walldog18