4Runner trans shifting

I have a '94 4runner with an auto trans. If it sits for a while (2 hours +-), it will not shift into overdrive until it warms' up. The local tranny shop says that this is normal, it just helps the tranny get up to the proper temp sooner. Is this true or should I check with another shop? Thanks

Reply to
J. Frank Ferguson

Yep that's how its supposed to work. See Tech Articles 16 and 17 at:

You might make sure your temp. sensor is working within spec.

Reply to
Roger Brown

this is true... I've noticed same thing with my honda my taco is a manual so its not an issue.

its normal for the vehicle not to shift >I have a '94 4runner with an auto trans. If it sits for a while

Reply to
Elbert

Just need to make sure the pre-determined temp is reached and is detected properly. For example, thermostat sticking open, won't let engine reach operating temperature as fast (or not at all in colder fall weather) and you never trigger the O/D to come on.

Reply to
Roger Brown

Just need to make sure the pre-determined temp is reached and is detected properly. For example, thermostat sticking open, won't let engine reach operating temperature as fast (or not at all in colder fall weather) and you never trigger the O/D to come on.

Reply to
Roger Brown

Just need to make sure the pre-determined temp is reached and is detected properly. For example, thermostat sticking open, won't let engine reach operating temperature as fast (or not at all in colder fall weather) and you never trigger the O/D to come on.

Reply to
Roger Brown

I noticed the same thing over the years on my 90 4runner 4X4 auto, I just replaced my tranny with a new/used one and it does the same thing and takes about the same amount of warm up time my old one did, takes a couple of miles down the road the first time on these cool october mornings john

Reply to
WB7DOJ